Questions from iPad new users in basic bundle

Sy

进士
Finally ,after days of strugle and ask Pleco questions, I bot the basic pkg.
I think all people learning Chinese should buy this Pleco electronic dictionary including
Other goodies.this comes out of my true heart.
Question no 1: In 魚dictionary...I keyin 中华人民共和国 then I see these characters in right column for sound.

If I key in 我想买一点东西 , I don't see all characters to get sound..I may see the the first character. Only.

But I see the broken up characters in the left column.
I want the sound for 我想买一点东西 continuously in one line for pronunciation in right column

WHY,WHY ?

Alexis

状元
"中华人民共和国" is a word that exists in the dictionary, so you will see an entry for it.
"我想买一点东西 " is a sentence, and it does not exist in the dictionary, so Pleco breaks it up into words.

If you want to hear TTS for a sentence, copy it and select Reader -> Clipboard Reader. You can use TTS to hear as much text as you like in the Pleco Reader.

Sy

进士
"中华人民共和国" is a word that exists in the dictionary, so you will see an entry for it.
"我想买一点东西 " is a sentence, and it does not exist in the dictionary, so Pleco breaks it up into words.

If you want to hear TTS for a sentence, copy it and select Reader -> Clipboard Reader. You can use TTS to hear as much text as you like in the Pleco Reader.

Thanks 状元,you just taught me a lesson.
Since I am new ,I can not follow the steps in the Pleco strange land yet.
What get me is also the abbreviations .what they stand for.
Like PLC,CC,MOE,SENTS,uni,.....WHERE TO FIND THE reference?
Someday, when I am good enough, I will post YouTube on how to use Pleco
Dictionary step by step to benefit the new comers and to show appreciation on Mike Love,s Works.
Prior to this, I used hard copy on many dictionary..s.., fonts, pinyin sound,definitions,tones, thesaurus,方言,sorting, searching,成语,谚语,俗语
....and many more. I sincerely see the goods in Pleco which seems to lack instructions .they may be there somewhere but hard to find.

HW60

状元
The best place to get information from is the Pleco manual. If you think the manual is to big to look at, you can search the manual with XXX site: pleco.com/ipmanual/, e.g. PLC site: pleco.com/ipmanual/ shows the information about PLC in the manual. For Android you use anmanual instead of ipmanual.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We need to improve our documentation, actually, and add our own videos - just got buried behind a bunch of other stuff we have to do :)

Sy

进士
I surely appreciate the emails and guidance from Mike love and readers.
I also found from Pleco.com...>>product...>>instruction manual , the lengthy
Readings which I will tackle . At this new stage , I collect info to ensure
me to find them easily. Now I feel info is all around me,and don't know
Where to come back to re read. Info is slipping away from me. In my plan ,I
do what I want to know now ; then ,work on secondary issues in the near future.
In this info collection stage ,I went to baidu apps and found so many sites on Pleco.
Maybe , in about a month, I will be more pcomfortable with Pleco.
I notice some unual phenomenon occurred that is when I registered my basic bundle,my Pleco apps in my other iPad and iPad devices disappeared.
Also other questions pop up as how to insert a picture containing explanatory
Support Info for this posting instead of telling the reader to an external site/blog.
I seem to like the inserted picture containing supported info more directly
shown like in Twitter and weibo.

Sy

进士
1/ How many devices like my iPads can I place Pleco paid dictionary?
2/ in the different dictionary fonts . It would be nice to see the English and the Chinese Characters....eg, Song (宋)....etc
3/ yesterday, I used a distribution list of 90+ emails. Introduce pleco dictionary
To hope to benefit the users and children in their daily need of chi to Eng
AND ENG TO CHI LOOK UP. Hope to have good impact to these uses as well as the producer ,Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) For iOS, as many devices as Apple lets you connect to your iTunes account.
2) We do do that now in the font chooser screen - are they not coming through correctly?
3) Thank you very much for the word-of-mouth!

Sy

进士
In add on /professional bundle,I don't see Chinese characters NAMES for the following fonts.
Kai Chinese font
Cao shu
Seal scrip
Xing
Extended Chinese
Xin gothic
Source Han sans cn
Source Han sans TWHK.
DONT KNOW WHERE IS FONT CHOOSER SCREEN.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh, sorry, you just want a listing of the names for the fonts? Looks like you've got most of them, extended doesn't have a Chinese name listed in Pleco and Source Han Sans is 思源黑体.

Sy

进士
Chinese font names (updated)

image.jpeg

Sy

进士
To learn to pronounce a long sentence or a paragraph such as 我想买一点东西
Which is not in Pleco dictionary , I can go to google translate
To get the pronunciation .

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Can also get it in Clipboard Reader - open that, tap on the first character, then tap on the 'megaphone' icon.