Price for Treo 650 in Beijing???

email on the Treo 650?

I just contacted China Mobile, and they said they don't support email on the Treo. They gave me a list of phones they supported for email. Has anyone ever tried to use it for email?

lmcjipo

榜眼
Re: email on the Treo 650?

lostinchina said:
I just contacted China Mobile, and they said they don't support email on the Treo. They gave me a list of phones they supported for email. Has anyone ever tried to use it for email?

I use e-mail on my unlocked Treo 650 (using the default Versamail loaded on ROM). I use it to access my Gmail account as well as my ISP account. When I was using my old Treo 600, I used to use SnapperMail. I don't have problems with Versamail and I didn't have problems with SnapperMail. The only reason why I didn't install SnapperMail onto my Treo 650 is that I am running out of RAM on my Treo 650 and Versamail even though it has only "basic" functionality, does enough for me.

Using Versamail and GPRS on my Treo 650, I can download my POP e-mail from Gmail as well as from my ISP. The Treo 650 installation CD that came with my unlocked Treo 650 also installed a conduit for Versamail which I believe also allows you to synch your e-mail but I've never used the conduit so I am not 100% sure about this.

I'm not sure why China Mobile doesn't support e-mail since I'm not located in China.

gato

状元

China Mobile does support GPRS, which should allow you to have internet access on your phone. I can't imagine why they would support email for other phones but not Treo. The Treo should be able to use GPRS as well as any other phone.

http://www.yn.chinamobile.com/html/html/yw-000.jsp

GPRS

GPRS的上网设置

●GPRS手机上网需要在手机上设置菜单参数:
●APN(接入点名称):CMNET
●网关地址:10.0.0.172(WAP浏览)
●直接启动手机上的“服务”(或其他菜单)以WAP方式访问WAP网站,也可以自行安装应用软件直接访问WEB网站

GPRS的上网方式

●手机+计算机方式上网需要通过专用电缆/红外接口等将手机与计算机相连
●计算机上需要安装相应的管理软件和拨号软件
●手机上需要做相应的GPRS设置
●通过专用软件拨号*99#,并通过浏览器浏览互联网网站

I paid 3600RMB for mine in Beijing back in July of this year. That also included a 1gb flash card. No problems since and I am loving it. I have a china mobile ??? card, when I bought the sim card I paid 500. I haven't since had to pay any money and my service is still working. Very odd.

Jim

榜眼
venture160 said:
I paid 3600RMB for mine in Beijing back in July of this year. That also included a 1gb flash card. No problems since and I am loving it. I have a china mobile ??? card, when I bought the sim card I paid 500. I haven't since had to pay any money and my service is still working. Very odd.

Your phone bill will be deducted from your 500 yuan deposit until the entire 500 is used up at which time you will have to go to the bank each month to pay your bill. Anytime from the 10th day of the month you can pay the previous month's bill.

gato

状元
I have a china mobile ??? card, when I bought the sim card I paid 500. I haven't since had to pay any money and my service is still working. Very odd.
Do you have the China Mobile 神州行 (Shenzhouxing) card? If so, you can call 13800138000 to find out how much money you have left in your account? Refill cards are available at almost any convenience store or newsstand.

James23

The Treo they carry is branded CECT. They have advertised it at 5500 yuan and that is the asking price in Beijing. I am not sure how much room there is to haggle. It comes with CJKOS and PenPower in the ROM.

ipsi

状元
5500 sounds like way, way too much. I got mine for 2750 in Qingdao, no haggling. Admittedly, no CJKOS or Penpower either, but then, they don't cost 2750 RMB... And I don't exactly need PP anyway. And it's also probably 水货, but even so...

Especially given that the 680 has been out for quite some time (a year and a half?), it does seem like an awful lot.

5500 yuan is very much.
But when I was in Beijing and shopping in the ZhongGuanCun some of the clerks offered me 4000 yuan for it.
I asked why, and they told me that they sell those devices for 5000 to 6000.
When I told them that I had gotten mine for around 2800 yuan back here in Germany they wouldn't believe me.

BTW I used GPRS on my Treo650 without a problem on China Mobiles network.
Go to a store and kindly ask for the GPRS parameters. (unfortunately I don't have them anymore)