Price for Treo 650 in Beijing???

Xiao Bei

Anyone bought a treo 650 in Beijing lately? I'm gonna take the plunge and I'm just wondering what a good price is.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

榜眼
CECT is the distributor for Palm Treos in Mainland China. The Treo they carry is branded CECT. They have advertised it at 5500 yuan and that is the asking price in Beijing. I am not sure how much room there is to haggle. It comes with CJKOS and PenPower in the ROM.

There are a few PalmOne branded Treos in Beijing in ZhongGuanCun that are grey market and came from Hong Kong. You should be able to pick these up for 4000 - 4000 yuan. CJKOS and PenPower come on a CD and you install them to RAM. The end result as far as free RAM is about the same because the CECT version has a larger ROM partition which reduces RAM.

Xiao Bei

Okay, maybe this is a stupid question and I could probably find it out on my own with a little research, but I'll throw it out there. Do the CECT branded treos have English OS with CJKOS installed as well? If I buy a CECT branded treo in Beijing am I going to be able to see English menus on it?

Jim

榜眼
Xiao Bei said:
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question and I could probably find it out on my own with a little research, but I'll throw it out there. Do the CECT branded treos have English OS with CJKOS installed as well? If I buy a CECT branded treo in Beijing am I going to be able to see English menus on it?

You will have the choice of English, Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese. It is actually an English OS and CJKOS is an add on.

Xiao Bei

Thanks for your help Jim. After browsing the forums I noticed you already provided this information in another thread...but thanks for repeating it.

So I guess it's pretty easy to tell the difference between the two phones. I was concerned about buying one of the grey market Hong Kong phones and paying too much for it "the old bait and switch". But if the Chinese phones are branded CECT that shouldn't be a problem.

I live in Tongzhou so getting out to Zhong Guan Cun is a bit of a hike. There's a pretty big electronics market called Bai Nao Hui on Chao Yang Men Wai Da Jie. A colleague saw the 650 there for 4950 RMB. Does anyone have experience shopping there? Are the prices comparable to Zhong Guan Cun?

Xiao Bei

Sorry, I'm being a typical newbie to this forum and asking way too many questions. Is the Treo 650 that I buy in China gonna be compatible with Mac?

Looking at both the hong kong and china palm sites it looks like I can only use the Treo 650 with a windows platform.

Can someone enlighten me?

Jim

榜眼
Xiao Bei said:
Sorry, I'm being a typical newbie to this forum and asking way too many questions. Is the Treo 650 that I buy in China gonna be compatible with Mac?

Looking at both the hong kong and china palm sites it looks like I can only use the Treo 650 with a windows platform.

Can someone enlighten me?

I don't use a Mac but there are lots of Treo users that do and there is software to sync to Macs. When updates come out they usually come out for Windows first and for the Mac some weeks later. There are ways around that though by doing an SD card update.

You can learn far more than you probably want to know in the forums at:
http://discussion.treocentral.com/index.php?styleid=1

specifically:
http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

You mentioned a price of 4950. If that is for the CECT branded phone it sounds good but if for a grey market Palm branded phone it sounds high. Should be able to get for less than 4500 from what I have been told. I got mine more than a year ago when prices were higher so haven't gone in lately and bargained myself.

Xiao Bei

Thanks again Jim. And thanks for the link to the Treo central site. I understand many Mac users also use the Treo and there is software to sync with the mac. But here's what it says on the Hong Kong palm website. It seemed strange to me but I guess I'll have to do some digging around to find out if I can use the Chinese verson Treo with my mac.

system requirements
Windows
•Windows 2000 or XP (later versions may also be supported) with USB port (USB HotSync® cable included)
• CD-ROM drive

• Treo 650 Limited Edition Smartphone supports Windows only.

Hi Xiao Bei

To Sync A Palm Device to a Mac
You can use 'The Missing Sync' produced by http://www.markspace.com
It Basically Hotsyncs Through 'iSync' &
Comes With An App That Allows Palm Flashdrives To Show Up As Drives on a Mac.

Hope This Helps
The Duelist

Xiao Bei

Thanks Duelist, i checked out the missing sync and it looks like it will solve my problems. I assume I just ignore the windows cd that comes in the box with my phone and rely on the missing sync software for syncing with my mac, thanx for your help.

shashvat

Mac + Treo 650 Limited Edition Blue?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Treo 650 as well. The best price I'm getting is for a limited edition blue version (the Chinese Language version).

I have a Mac.

How successful have you been in syncing this phone with your Mac?

Also, there is a Treo 650 update (v1.20) on the Palm website. If we update with that, it should rest the Treo to standard settings (i.e. probably remove the Chinese Language settings that make it incompatible with the Mac). Anyone know anything about this?

Jim

榜眼
Re: Mac + Treo 650 Limited Edition Blue?

shashvat said:
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Treo 650 as well. The best price I'm getting is for a limited edition blue version (the Chinese Language version).

I have a Mac.

Also, there is a Treo 650 update (v1.20) on the Palm website. If we update with that, it should rest the Treo to standard settings (i.e. probably remove the Chinese Language settings that make it incompatible with the Mac). Anyone know anything about this?

I can't comment on syncing with a Mac. Which website are looking at for the update. There are different versions for different parts of the world. In the West the latest update is "ENA" which has multiple romance languages. In Mainland China it is "APR" which has English and both Traditional and Simplified Chinese. In Australia, Singapore, etc. it is "LAP". I am not sure what languages are in this one. In Hong Kong both are available.

If you use Palm's normal hotsync method to install the installer checks which version you have and won't allow you to install a different version. Also, I don't believe the installer for Mac has been released yet but I may be wrong. You can find SD card installers for all versions in the forums at Treocentral. With these any version can be installed on any phone. You can get the standard ROMs or ROMs that have been customized. If you like you can learn to customize your own. As these are installed via the SD card it doesn't matter if you have a Mac or Windows.

shashvat

Thank you for that, I'll take a look at TreoCentral (just did - confusing, but a lot of information is available, I'll sift through it).

To answer your questions, I'm in Singapore, the Treo's I'm talking about are the Limited Edition with the CJKOS and blue faceplate.
The updgrade I'm talking about is from the Palm Singapore website.

I'd like to flash it to a standard English ROM, which should then make it compatible with my Mac. I also have a PC (at home and at office), so installers aren't an issue

Thanks.

fredrik

秀才
Re: Mac + Treo 650 Limited Edition Blue?

shashvat said:
Hi,

I have a Mac.

I use a treo 650 with my ibook and it works just fine. Missing sync works fine aswell. You should use the APR ( Asian Pacific ) Rom for update and you will keep your CKOS. Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Palm Treo 650 price Beijing

I paid RMB 5,000 including the SIM card that lets you surf the internet without limit for 6 months, but doesnt allow you to make phone calls.

A

Anonymous

treo 600

so you use graffiti anywhere + pleco dict? I would love a 650 for 500 yuan
i was looking at a 600 in china on ebay for 1400 yuan
i live in nanjing
is there a free switch to the pocket pc version if igot a treo700w?
i rock the tungsten e right now

james

秀才
Xiao Bei said:
There's a pretty big electronics market called Bai Nao Hui on Chao Yang Men Wai Da Jie. A colleague saw the 650 there for 4950 RMB. Does anyone have experience shopping there? Are the prices comparable to Zhong Guan Cun?

The prices at Bainao Hui are typically slightly higher than in Zhongguan Cun's big sales centers like Hai Long. I'm told the rents at Bainao Hui are higher, so they have to charge more. Most of the stores at Bainao Hui are satellite stores which have their main offices and other satellite stores in Haidian. Also check online at websites like Sohu, etc. for prices. These same storefronts will advertise online and deliver to your home, saving you the hassle of going to the store, while giving you the assurance that you can go to the store if there's a problem with your product later.

Treo Questions, Pricing etc

I haven't yet bought Pleco, but I am planning to get myself a phone/PDA capable of running Pleco so that I can. I live in China (Kunming), and will buy it in HK or Shanghai before year end.

My minimum requirements are phone, organizer function (synch with Outlook), and touch screen. I need the latter only for Pleco.

From this forum, it looks like the Treo 650 is a probably good fit for my needs.
- Does anyone have a comment about call quality? Are voices clear on both ends?
- from what I can tell, the new 750 will be more than I need -- for one, it will have 3G, which I think is not yet available in China. It also is expected to cost about HK$6200.
- the Palm website shows the 650 price at HK$4600. Does anyone know if it's available cheaper at typical resellers in either HK or Shanghai?

Thanks

gato

状元
- the Palm website shows the 650 price at HK$4600. Does anyone know if it's available cheaper at typical resellers in either HK or Shanghai?
You can buy a Treo 650 for about RMB3800 in Shanghai. I bought one last week in Saibo Digital Plaza (赛博数码广场) near Xintiandi (新天地). They are pretty inflexible about the price, and there's not much room for bargaining.

I'm loving it so far.

These two software seem fairly essentially for the Treo.

http://www.51pda.cn/bbs/htm_data/52/0603/458.html
"掌易"中文输入平台 (Chinese IME, supports pinyin as well as Shuangpin)

http://www.51pda.cn/bbs/htm_data/52/0601/369.html
Treo中文伴侣 (Chinesemate) for searching contacts by pinyin. The builtin contact only can search alphabetically.