Pleco question

zhouyi

秀才
Can pleco's Instant Access feature work for any Chinese character that might appear on my phone?

I live in Hangzhou China and I just put a deposit down to get a htc touchpro 2 with an English operating system. Now it seems that the cell phone store is having trouble getting it and I wonder if having a phone with the Chinese operating system would be a bad thing if I could use pleco to look up any character. The guy at the cell phone store said that if I wait a while he can still get a phone with an English operating system, he also has the software ce-star on his computer and can give me that too. Will that give me all the chinese-traditional simplified support I need. I saw on the forum that it might cause errors? Or is there anything at all preferable about having the Chinese operating system besides the challenge. If I bought a phone with a simplified character operating system how could I get it to support traditional characters? Should I just wait for the English one?

thanks so much,

joey

Also does pleco include example chinese sentences that are apart from the dictionaries?

ldolse

状元
zhouyi said:
Can pleco's Instant Access feature work for any Chinese character that might appear on my phone?
Instant Access only works with text you can highlight and copy. You can't copy MMS, so it won't work with that. Also, if you plan to get a phone with a Chinese operating system it won't work with any of the UI widgets, menus, etc, as those can't be highlighted or copied either.

CE Star is the simplest way to enable Chinese support, and most users don't have problems with it. I personally dislike it and use some other methods to enable Chinese. There are lots of details on this forum about that.

zhouyi said:
Also does pleco include example chinese sentences that are apart from the dictionaries?
No, but there is a flashcard list on the flashcards forum with lots of example sentences.

zhouyi

秀才
Thank you!

That helps a lot! I just got my phone today with an English OS. And I'm going to get pleco on it tonight. I'm going to go with the ce-star and then see how I can switch it.

Joey