Pleco performance on android phones

ckatt

状元
Hi folks, I'm a long time Pleco user and am currently running it on a palm T3. no problems with it but i i would like to carry around one device rather than two so i'm thinking of ditching my nokia for something that runs android. I don't want an expensive phone but i would like to know how much the experiences of using pleco will differ from one device to the next. will search be faster ect.? I'd be fine with having a low end android 2.2 device if there wont be to much difference but i could go for a faster 2.3 if its worth it. i dont think i want to get a new 4.0 handset but i do want somthing with a decent camera for the ocr functions. what do you folks suggest?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've had pretty good luck with a low-end $80 LG Optimus One - the medium-resolution screen helps offset the slower processor and since the camera supports autofocus it's reasonably OCR-friendly. Search speed is actually more dependent on I/O than processor power - you either want a device that either has enough built-in flash memory to store Pleco's databases, or a high-speed microSD card (and a device with a reasonably fast microSD interface, though I don't know where you could find that spec except by digging around in enthusiast forums). Extra RAM also helps, since it means that Pleco can keep more of its databases in RAM at the same time and hence have to rely less on the speed-limiting flash memory.

2.2 was a much bigger speed bump from 2.1 than 2.3 was from 2.2, so I wouldn't choose a 2.3 device on that basis, but 4.0 brings so many more speed improvements that it might be worth trying to find a midrange device that's upgradable to that.