Pleco on iPad 3 or wait for new iPad release

I have an iPad 3 and use Pleco on it and it's quite fast compared to my iPhone 4. Was planning on getting an iPad Mini for my wife this week so we can use FaceTime as I'm in a different area for now studying (FaceTime seems to be the best quality online chat system to me).

My question is whether the upcoming release of Pleco will work just as well on this iPad I currently have, i.e. no delays/slowdowns etc or would it be better to wait for the next gen iPad release which may be before years end and give existing iPad to the Mrs. Usually there is at least a processor upgrade on new releases which would prevent slowdowns. Do you think Pleco new release will be this side of 2013?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The iPad 3 has actually always been on the edge of catastrophe hardware-wise (processor / graphics chip just aren't really fast enough to drive a 2048x1536 display), so while it should run the new version of Pleco reasonably well outside of OCR (as Pleco is generally not a particularly demanding app), given that you're about to buy a second iPad anyway I'd probably wait the few weeks and upgrade - there's a very good chance that iOS 8 will start to cause the same sorts of slowdowns / annoyances on the iPad 3 that iPhone 4 owners have been enjoying with iOS 7.

New Pleco release will certainly be in 2013, yes - not very long at all now.

Thanks Mike. I only realised yesterday that there was a successor to the iPad 3 (Retina). I don't really have any problems with the iPad 3 though. Quite reliable but I don't use it for any intensive apps so maybe that's the reason it works consistently well. Will probably wait for the next one to come out so. Cheers.