Pleco on HTC Touch HD

Kris

秀才
Hey guys,

I hope you can help me out. I'm considering to buy the HTC Touch HD and I'd like to know if Pleco will run on it? Does anybody have experience with this combination? Do I have to install any further programs, which would make pleco esier to use?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

renovator

榜眼
Kris said:
Hey guys,

I hope you can help me out. I'm considering to buy the HTC Touch HD and I'd like to know if Pleco will run on it? Does anybody have experience with this combination? Do I have to install any further programs, which would make pleco esier to use?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

Pleco runs really slick on HTC product line. The screen is so crisp and clear. Although I do not have the HD, the OS is same as on my HTC Touch Diamond which I have had for about 9 months now and just love. I run through about 600 cards per day and use Pleco to look up any characters I don't know when receiving SMS or other documents on phone. Pleco runs very, very well and is quite fast. You will also need to install need an IME. I use CE-Star which is available for a nominal fee if not included when you buy your phone. CE Star is not in all of their packages, even for the same model phones as their free software appears to be market specific. Other IME's are also available if you don't like CE-star (which has a free trial). There is also a good xda development site available to further tweak your phone and customize it just the way you want it.

I highly recommend the HTC product line of phones. Everyone that I know that has any of the recent HTC phones, really love them.

Kris

秀才
Hey,

thanks a lot for your comment, that sounds really great. I'm sorry to ask (had no smartphone before), but what does IME mean? I just looked up for CE Star. It enables your device to view and write Chinese and Japanese in all applications. Is such a program necessarily needed for pleco to run on HTC (HD)? And could you give some alternative links for other IME's like CE Star? I'm new to the smartphone theme and before I'll spend a couple of hundred €'s, I want to inform the best way I can do, to be sure that everything works fine together.

Again thanks in advance

Kris

renovator

榜眼
Yes, You need an IME to run Pleco on HTC or other smartphones. IME stands for Input Method Editor. I recommended that one because it is the IME that is bundled with some of the HTC phones, also the IME that Mike (Pleco owner) recommended to me on my previous smart phone and when I bought the HTC, Mobem (CE-Star) allowed me to use my existing license from my old phone on my new HTC. Also, I have been using CE-Star on my HTC for about 9 months now without any problems and they have a free trial offer. What more could you want? The only reason I know of that some people will try other IME's is because some are available for free or some people don't like CE-Star because some versions had some problems with certain phones.

For other IME's, you can Google Chinese IME.

ipsi

状元
You don't need an IME for Pleco - that's completely wrong. It will work just fine without CE-Star present. You'll only need it if you want to view or write Chinese in other applications like Text Messages, Emails or Web sites. Check the manual. Part of the reason Pleco is as complex as it is is to avoid dependence on third-party software, as I understand it. That's why they bundle fonts and encodings and such with Pleco.

There are other threads on this forum for free Input Methods (called SIPs on Windows Mobile, I believe), one of which is called ZTA4, and another I don't recall. PlumSip, possibly?

EDIT: See here: http://www.pleco.com/manual/wminst.html#installing, and scroll down for the line "Font Files – Chinese character font files. Always install this item; even if your system already has Chinese support installed, Pleco 2.0 can only display Chinese characters with its own fonts." As I said, you don't need CE-Star to be able to use Pleco.

renovator

榜眼
You don't need an IME for Pleco - that's completely wrong. It will work just fine without CE-Star present. You'll only need it if you want to view or write Chinese in other applications like Text Messages, Emails or Web site.

Yes, and you don't need seats in your automobile, you can just throw them out and put a few wooden crates in your car to sit on.

The beauty of Pleco 2.0 is the ability to use it in conjunction with your SMS, text files, etc. Hence, CE-Star or another IME. I really don't see the point of a large investment in a smartphone and then severely restrict its Chinese functionality by not installing an IME. Kris, if you don't install an IME, your next question will be why do I have all those square boxes on my phone where there should be characters.

ipsi

状元
Oh yes, I fully see that point, but to say that Pleco *requires* CE-Star is wrong. I fail to see how you could argue anything else.

But yeah, I'd also recommend installing an IME, as well as Pleco. Unless you don't intend to be reading/writing Chinese anywhere else on your device?

Kris

秀才
Great guys,

you helped me out a lot. As I understood you right, you don't necessariliy need an IME to use Pleco, because it comes with it's own fonts. But if I do wanna write or type chinese in most of any of the other progs on my device, it is better to have an IME installed. But if not, I won't have squares instead of characters inside my pleco, right? This is really a great forum, thanks.

Kris

ipsi

状元
Strictly speaking, there's three things you may want. Pleco does not need *any* of them, as Pleco has its own set.

Font Files - For displaying Chinese, you will need to install Chinese fonts. This can be a little tricky, and will use up several megabytes of internal storage. However, if you want to see Chinese outside of Pleco then you'll need these. You may also need to edit the registry if you're looking for a free option. They do exist, but it's not as easy as purchasing commerical software.

Input Methods - For entering Chinese. If you want to be able to input characters, you'll need this. This can come bundled with font files, but can also come separately and require you already have font files installed. If you don't have font files installed, the IME will probably install but then display only squares :-(

Code Tables - A lot of old web pages use what's called GB2312 or Big5 to 'encode' their web pages. Windows Mobile can't handle this by default, so you may need to install extra packages to deal with this. Not sure how to do it for free - only option I'm aware of is to install something like CE-Star, or buy a Chinese-language device.

So yeah. If you hunt around, you should be able to find a link to sunglobe.cab, which will install Font Files, and Font Files only - you may be able to display Chinese (if not, then you'll need to edit the registry), but you won't be able to enter anything.

You should also find links in this forum to ZTA4 or PlumSip (or whatever it's called), which are input methods that require font files to be installed separately.

If the above sounds a little on the hard side, you can install CE-Star, which provides fonts, input methods and code pages all in one. It costs money, the above solutions don't. Up to you to decide what you prefer :)

Or you could not bother with any of it, and accept that you'll only be able to see/input Chinese inside Pleco.

There's also a fourth option, which you may start wondering about: Displaying everything in Chinese (localizing it, as it's called), all the menus, settings, programs, etc. As far as I'm aware, that's impossible, and is essentially due to the way Windows (Desktop and Mobile) was designed. Well, it's not impossible, but it would require flashing a new ROM, so unless you're comfortable with buying a new phone if it doesn't work out, then I'd suggest avoiding it.

Hope that helps,

- ipsi

I run it on a HTC Touch HD. It's absolutely fantastic.

The HTC touch keyboard really gives a great finger-typing input alternative too.

Yes, you'll love it.

Rob

CE-Star caused my HD all kinds of problems and you don't need it. Really, it trashed my system and it's totally unnecessary.
Mobile 6.1 does not need anything special to display GB2312 webpages, Opera and IE both worked out of the box, they just needed a font file.

The font file is called MSYH.ttf depending on the version numbers. I believe the currently font version is 6.01. Copy it to \Windows\Fonts on your phone. Restart, you're done.
If you want hand writing, and you can speak Chinese, you can buy the input 马兰花2008版 directly from http://www.hwpen.net, that's HanWang's website. It's 88 RMB. They told me that Dopod China sells it for 38 RMB but I'd rather buy straight from HanWang.
If you want pinyin input, then you can use the VGA version of PlumSIP (6.1 is current) available from http://www.pdafans.com/download-13977.html (freeware)
Or you can use A4, available for free from their website, http://www.a4user.com (freeware)

The above input methods only require MSYH.ttf to be installed. You can install it either with an install cab, or just by copying it into Windows\Fonts on your Touch HD.

If you want killer Japanese support also, do the same with meiryo.ttc and meiryob.ttc
You can get Japanese input as incredibly well written freeware from http://www.ookii.org/software/japaneseinput/

Anyone know of good freeware Korean input support?

Rob

HW60

状元
RobRedbeard said:
CE-Star caused my HD all kinds of problems and you don't need it. Really, it trashed my system and it's totally unnecessary.
I had the same experience with CE-Star, but I still have problems displaying chinese characters in other programs. I installed the font file MSYH.ttf and now can read Pocket Word files with chinese text.
RobRedbeard said:
Opera and IE both worked out of the box, they just needed a font file.
I cannot read chinese web pages with Opera, and I cannot read chinese mails with Pocket Outlook. Both worked with CE-Star, but the CE-Star keyboard trashed my system. Any idea what might be missing on my system?

daniel123

榜眼
Opera and IE and all other software just need a font file to show Chinese characters correctly. You can use Pleco's font file (there are some decriptions anywhere on this forum. The last is AFAIK written by Mike) or you can install sunglobe.cab (for example look at the Internet for download sunglobe.cab.zip.

HW60

状元
I had to add a key to the registry which links the default font Tahoma to a chinese font - only then the squares in Opera and Outlook were replaced by chinese characters.