Pleco on a rooted Nook?

Alexis

状元
Has anyone tried Pleco on a rooted Nook Touch? I wanted to get a Nook mainly as an e-book reader (I love e-ink), root it to run Android, and was hoping pleco would run on it (doesn't have to run terribly well, just well enough to use basic dictionary/flashcard/read functionality).

Alexis

状元
After digging around a bit, A rooted Nook Simple Touch only does Android 2.1. So won't work.

gato

状元
I got a Nook Simple Touch and tried out the rooting. They were on sale for $79 ($20 discount) for Mother's Day. The price propel ably makes it the cheapest tablet on the market.

The rooting was straightforward. The most annoying thing was that it took Android Market about 12 hours to be activated.

Apps like NYTimes and several Chinese magazine apps all work. It's a great cheap little Android tablet for those who like eink and uses a tablet primarily for reading. Another great thing is that it's much lighter than a normal tablet. With a 6 inch screen, it weighs about the same as a phone, which makes it much better for reading.

Would it be very hard to get Pleco working on Android 2.1? Maybe a stripped down version with just the reader, dictionary, and flashcard adding function (but not the testing system)?

Mike, I would recommend getting one of these to play around at least.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gato said:
Would it be very hard to get Pleco working on Android 2.1? Maybe a stripped down version with just the reader, dictionary, and flashcard adding function (but not the testing system)?

Really hard to justify at this point, given that Android's still only getting about 1/3 of the sales of iOS - in hindsight it was a mistake to even support 2.2, we had to do a lot of work to get around certain features it lacked (like an integrated download manager). The flashcard testing system isn't the thing that would be problematic, it's lower-level impossible-to-cut stuff like font rendering and add-on downloads and copy-protection hardware IDs.