Pleco+ OCR on ipod touch first generation

astahxo

Hi,
I just bought an ipod touch 1G on ebay. I just did it in order to use pleco, especially the OCR function.
I just wanted to know if I could use the OCR with my OS, or if I had to upgrade/hack it to the iOS4.
Thanks
Romain
PS: Sorry for my poor English, I'm german/french

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Unfortunately, even if you upgraded your iPod Touch to OS 4 it still wouldn't work since it doesn't have enough RAM. Right now the OCR system only works on devices with built-in cameras; we're fixing that in the next update to let it work with still images loaded from a computer or an external camera, but that feature requires a lot of memory and the first-gen / second-gen iPods and iPhones don't have enough of it.

astahxo

Okay..
I guess I should have ask this before I bought the ipod...
Anyway, if all the others features work well on my ipod, it shouldn't be a big problem. I just found the OCR system terrific :( .
Thanks mike

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry about that. But yes, everything else should work - about the only really performance/RAM-intensive mode other than OCR is the "Live Mode" web browser option, but looking up words on web pages via the pasteboard should work beautifully if that option doesn't.