Pleco for Android Beta 3 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ronibeloski said:
Thanks for the quick reply! What my phone said was "your sd card has an unsupported file system or is corrupt" or something to that effect. It then gave me the option to format the card. When I clicked on format, nothing seemed to happen. My file manager didn't recognize that I have an SD card on there, it wouldn't mount or anything. However, I just took out the card and put it back in and it works fine. Don't I feel silly. All my files are still on the card and working fine. Thanks for the help! I guess it was just a minor bug that made my phone freeze, but no lasting damage.

Great! Sorry for the hassle, though... if it happens again please let us know. Did it freeze as soon as you opened the handwriting screen, or only after you started drawing? Is handwriting working correctly now or is it still bugged?

Shadowdh

状元
I am having a problem installing the large file (the data files that are about 590mb odd) on the external sd card... I install the pleco apk file, download the initial files and then when I try to change the path to the external sd card in the settings ala Neil Perks it still doesnt work... is anyone able to help out a techo illiterate with step by step instructions and maybe even providing the exact thing to type into the custom save to part?? I have a samsung galaxy sII... many thanks...

Giraffe

举人
So yesterday I had a minor disaster. I thought I'd try reinstalling Pleco from scratch to see if it would solve my problem with not being able to review the incorrect cards from tests. This turned out to be a bad idea.

I exported my flashcards before I started, uninstalled Pleco, and then redownloaded and reinstalled everything.

But when I imported my cards, I found that the card statistics weren't there. I had all the cards, but I'd entirely lost the history, meaning that I now have to build my history all over again. I'm quite certain that the option to include stats was enabled when I did my export, so it seems like somewhere there must be a fairly significant bug.

I took a look at the XML and it seemed like the history might actually be there. I'm wondering if I should trying importing it again. I've attached the file for reference

:(

Attachments

• giraffeflashcards.xml
    2.4 MB · Views: 957

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh said:
I am having a problem installing the large file (the data files that are about 590mb odd) on the external sd card... I install the pleco apk file, download the initial files and then when I try to change the path to the external sd card in the settings ala Neil Perks it still doesnt work... is anyone able to help out a techo illiterate with step by step instructions and maybe even providing the exact thing to type into the custom save to part?? I have a samsung galaxy sII... many thanks...

Where exactly are you putting it on the SD card? What's the exact path to the /files directory inside of that large package, e.g.?

Giraffe said:
But when I imported my cards, I found that the card statistics weren't there. I had all the cards, but I'd entirely lost the history, meaning that I now have to build my history all over again. I'm quite certain that the option to include stats was enabled when I did my export, so it seems like somewhere there must be a fairly significant bug.

I took a look at the XML and it seemed like the history might actually be there. I'm wondering if I should trying importing it again. I've attached the file for reference

It looks like they're there but for some reason they were put into new scorefiles instead of merging into the existing one. Go into the "Scoring" flashcard test configuration screen and set your scorefile to "Default" (the second one listed, if there are two of them) or "spaced" - that should get you to the correct data.

Giraffe

举人
mikelove said:
It looks like they're there but for some reason they were put into new scorefiles instead of merging into the existing one. Go into the "Scoring" flashcard test configuration screen and set your scorefile to "Default" (the second one listed, if there are two of them) or "spaced" - that should get you to the correct data.

Great! That worked.

Thanks!

Shadowdh

状元
Hi Mike, when I use the file explorer that is on the phone the path is /sdcard/external_sd/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh said:
Hi Mike, when I use the file explorer that is on the phone the path is /sdcard/external_sd/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem

And what's inside of that? Where is "files" e.g.?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh said:
Inside that is two folders called cache and files the files folder has a load more folders etc.

Well that should work fine again... very odd. Try this: put it just in /sdcard/Android instead of /sdcard/external_sd/Android - does that work any better?

Shadowdh

状元
Copied that folder across Mike and I now have access to all the dictionaries etc I should. works fine but not when I try to us the external sdcard card it seems

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh said:
Copied that folder across Mike and I now have access to all the dictionaries etc I should. works fine but not when I try to us the external sdcard card it seems

Interesting... I guess on your system the default storage directory is internal rather than external.

When editing the flash cards i am moving the words from the uncategorized to a specific category. The first time i do this it works. The second time the program hangs up.

kyococo

秀才
Hi!

I'm mostly using the flashcard module so here are some bugs related to it:
- when you select the character reading test, you have to press the speaker icon each time to hear the reading of the chars, which is quite boring and the icon is so small and close to the correct button that sometimes it start the correction instead :(. The correction is ok however as it's automaticaly read.
- in a char that has already been added as Flashcard, clicking on the boxed + (in the idea to remove the card) make the program crash
- when you ask to save the test while leaving the FC module, well you just trash it as the session is never restored

- The Tuttle direction doesn't have a definition for some very common words (but I forgot which ones)
- some radicals are missing (you cannot find all the words with the Rad function)
- many keys doesn't have any definition, even the basic ones (which would be very useful to understand the char strucuture)

Not that many for a beta :)

Sorry for my poor english!

Shadowdh

状元
mikelove said:
Shadowdh said:

Interesting... I guess on your system the default storage directory is internal rather than external.

sooo is there any way to change that so I can put the files on the external sd card (I guess it doesnt matter much as its got a fair amount of internal memory there)? so far liking it too... havent tested it too thoroughly yet as was away last week.

I do not whether this a bug or feature. When working in the flashcard part of the program and you go to sketch there is no way to get back. Pressing the android back button exits you from the session.

thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for all the feedback.

dahuailang said:
When editing the flash cards i am moving the words from the uncategorized to a specific category. The first time i do this it works. The second time the program hangs up.

I'm seeing this here too... very odd; we'll get right to work on fixing it for the next beta, thanks.

kyococo said:
- when you select the character reading test, you have to press the speaker icon each time to hear the reading of the chars, which is quite boring and the icon is so small and close to the correct button that sometimes it start the correction instead :(. The correction is ok however as it's automaticaly read.

This one can be fixed with a settings change; Test Settings / Audio / Auto-play on show+reveal.

kyococo said:
- in a char that has already been added as Flashcard, clicking on the boxed + (in the idea to remove the card) make the program crash

That's news to us - have you changed your flashcard duplicate-checking settings in Settings / Flashcards? Though that button doesn't actually do that in this beta - it will in the next beta, though, right now it normally just puts up a little message saying that the card is a duplicate.

kyococo said:
- when you ask to save the test while leaving the FC module, well you just trash it as the session is never restored

This one's been widely reported - should be fixed in the next beta. (it actually works fine on some rooted devices, but the bug prevents it from working correctly on most)

kyococo said:
- The Tuttle direction doesn't have a definition for some very common words (but I forgot which ones)

Limitation of that dictionary, unfortunately - lots of nice details and examples but not too much word coverage. We've recently licensed the expanded version of it, though, and plan to release that as a paid Pleco add-on (with a big discount for people who bought the original) soon - even it's not enormous, but it has several times as many entries as the original at least.

kyococo said:
- some radicals are missing (you cannot find all the words with the Rad function)

Are the characters missing, or is it just that when you tap on them, nothing happens? The tapping-and-nothing-happening bug is a known one and should be fixed in the next beta.

kyococo said:
- many keys doesn't have any definition, even the basic ones (which would be very useful to understand the char strucuture)

Yeah, that database needs some work - we actually do have definitions for most of them, but the system can't always look them up because some of them use weird non-standard character codes.

Shadowdh said:
sooo is there any way to change that so I can put the files on the external sd card (I guess it doesnt matter much as its got a fair amount of internal memory there)? so far liking it too... havent tested it too thoroughly yet as was away last week.

Yes - Settings / General, set "File storage location" to "Custom" and configure it as /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files. Then, exit Pleco, make sure it's not running in the background, move the files to that new location and reopen Pleco.

dahuailang said:
I do not whether this a bug or feature. When working in the flashcard part of the program and you go to sketch there is no way to get back. Pressing the android back button exits you from the session.

You actually tap on the button to hide it, but it would probably be a good idea to do that from the back button too - thanks!

Rpz

Two issues with the Flashcards:

1) As previously mentioned by 'justinrp97', I too am unable to resume a flashcard test session, which I had previously saved on exit at the usual prompt. Does everyone have a problem with this or only some users?

2) Whilst within the flashcard testing session, I cannot see the 'notifications' bar along the top of the screen. Throughout the rest of the Pleco application I can see it but just not during the flashcard tests. This means that I get no visual notifications of messages/ emails arriving (my phone is generally on silent and doesn't vibrate for messages/ emails). Any plan to allow users to see the notifications bar during testing too? Would be great, thanks.

Hardware: Samsung Galaxy S2 (stock ROM)

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the UI and naturally the Pleco application itself.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Shadowdh said:
oooohhhhh /mnt/ is not something I was using... will try that out Mike many thanks...

Actually that shouldn't make a difference - /sdcard is usually just an alias to /mnt/sdcard.

Rpz said:
1) As previously mentioned by 'justinrp97', I too am unable to resume a flashcard test session, which I had previously saved on exit at the usual prompt. Does everyone have a problem with this or only some users?

Almost everybody, it seems. But on the rooted device we tested it on it actually works fine :)

Rpz said:
2) Whilst within the flashcard testing session, I cannot see the 'notifications' bar along the top of the screen. Throughout the rest of the Pleco application I can see it but just not during the flashcard tests. This means that I get no visual notifications of messages/ emails arriving (my phone is generally on silent and doesn't vibrate for messages/ emails). Any plan to allow users to see the notifications bar during testing too? Would be great, thanks.

Ah, good catch - we actually have to disable that bar in OCR because it seems to screw up the camera drivers on a lot of Android devices to have it there, but the only reason it's gone in flashcards is that we based the flashcard test activity UI off of the OCR one - anyway we'll fix this in the next beta, thanks.

sthubbar

榜眼
Mike,

I think I have encountered what appears to be a "special feature" in Pleco Android.

Seems my phone got into a repetitive loop when loading Pleco and data was in the clipboard.

I see the following message, as the screen continuously refreshes showing the clipboard content. I can't get to the location in the message because as soon as I try to go to Menu, the screen refreshes. Even after leaving Pleco this message still remains on the phone screen for some time.

"Clipboard Monitor active: got to menu/Settings/General/Startup to diable"

Oops, I just left that message on the screen and left Pleco in the repetitive loop so I could copy down that message text and then when I left Pleco, it appears that the phone interface reset because I saw the "HTC" logo then the home screen. Doesn't look like a phone reboot because it was quick and I think I may have still had the top status bar during the reset, just the home page crashing. When I go back into Pleco, the problem persists even after this crash. I will try force shutdown of Pleco and see what happens. Did the Force Stop and then reload Pleco and still the endless loop. Let me try and clear the clipboard (don't know how to do that, maybe just copy different text or one character). Yes, that broke the loop. I just copied a few english letters. Previously it was about 6 Chinese characters.

If this is new, I'll try and provide as many details of what I was doing before the loop and you can see if you can duplicate.

I was using Handcent SMS to send and receive messages in Chinese. I received a short message that had some characters I didn't understand. I press held the message and copied to clipboard. I then went into Android setting and setup Pleco quick-key Search+Q to make it easier to do these searches. (It is possible I setup the quick key before the copy) Anyway, I used the quick key after the clipboard text was copied and the first time it worked great. I was able to highlight the unknown character and figure it out. Then left Pleco and went back to Handcent to continue send and receive messages. Received another message that I wanted to double check. Press held message and copied to clipboard. From within Handcent, I then did Search+Q to bring it up in Pleco. Pleco loaded and the new message showed up on the white screen (I assume the reader) though this is where the endless loop started.

Both messages copied to the clipboard where small, less then 10 characters.

Thanks.