Pleco for Android 3.1 Beta 5

HW60

状元
@HW60 - 1-char for 1-char actually only worked in single-dictionary searches [...] but searching for every word that starts with a particular Pinyin syllable was fairly useless even with one dictionary and is totally useless with more than one.
I did not use the 1-char for 1-char option, but liked the impression of looking into a dictionary without the option, when I did not find only one character, but all words beginning with that character. Now I have to look at Words Beginning to get that impression - no real problem.

The actual Words Containing does all I need - I did not realize that Words Starting/Containing/Both have changed in 3.1. Now Words Containing also includes Starting (in 2.4.18 Starting+Containing=Both). So this is perfect to find out which flashcards I should know containing a certain character and even word! Thanks!

[QUOTE="mikelove, post: 33632, member: 1"][USER=1062]With settings, you can actually jump to a different part of Pleco without going back to the root screen of settings first
[/QUOTE]I only jumped within settings to find out where the 1-char for 1-char option was hidden - when I then jump back to select the next setting, it would help if the last setting chosen was highlighted somehow to choose the next one.

[QUOTE="mikelove, post: 33632, member: 1"][USER=1062]With flashcards, are you referring to the text in the status bar at the top of the screen?
[/QUOTE]Yes, I think there are more places where the size of Pleco text (not the adjustable font sizes) could be adapted to the device size.

[QUOTE="mikelove, post: 33632, member: 1"][USER=1062]Which "next card" buttons are you referring to? The tab icons to the left of it? And the backspace button is the one in the handwriting box, right?
[/QUOTE]a) The three buttons which were named Back, Edit and Test in 2.4.18 and have now been replaced by symbols (with a not too evident meaning). b) Yes, it has the same width as on my phone in 2.4.18, but now there is plenty of place on a tablet.[/user][/user][/user]

HW60

状元
During flashcards, the information in the status bar is normally on the top right. Sometimes it is on the top medium left side (screenshot), and tapping on the audio button then terminates Pleco (Pleco angehalten / OK).

During flashcards, coming back from the WORDS list, sometimes the bottom buttons have strange descriptions (screenshot). I have not yet found out when it exactly happens, but it did happen three times within 5 minutes.

Attachments

• 2014-05-19 15.25.23.png
    2014-05-19 15.25.23.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 581
  • 2014-05-19 15.29.04.png
    2014-05-19 15.29.04.png
    216.2 KB · Views: 454
  • 2014-05-19 15.35.23.png
    2014-05-19 15.35.23.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 499

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ohlordamen - there's a pretty strong rumor that Google is redesigning the home screen to mostly get rid of widgets, or at least to replace them with something quite different, so we're holding off any decisions on those until it's clear what direction they're going. (I'm also not sold on the benefits in general, to be honest - we see very little interest in them from users)

@HW60 - thanks; sounds like it's related to the bug that @Kathleen mentioned earlier.

HW60

状元
During flashcards I want to stop before the last due card and start repeating the wrong cards. Which back button behaviour will allow that? I always come back to the dictionary and exit from there, unable to repeat.

giokve

进士
Not sure whether I should post this again or not, but from the first post I can't understand if the problems reported for the previous versions are going to be fixed in the future or they should have been fixed already, so here it is:

If I go to SENTS, tap on a word, go back to DICT and tap on another word, the popup reader won't be displayed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-19-21-25-15.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-19-21-25-15.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 536

HW60

状元
If I go to SENTS, tap on a word within the sentences, the correct popup for this word opens. Tapping on DICT afterwords and then on the dictionary character, the popop of the SENTS word is opened.

Attachments

• 2014-05-19 20.06.28.png
    2014-05-19 20.06.28.png
    48 KB · Views: 481

kiraven

举人
The new antonym / synonym feature for words is great! Also one of the main reasons why I like LMA that much.

History still seems to have some bugs. if I am on a dict definition screen, go to history and choose an entry from the search tab, Pleco jumps back to the dict definition screen I was before, and not to search searching for the selected entry. I have to press back first to go to the search screen, and then go via history, to display the entry.

When I choose an entry from the Dict tab, the proper definition opens, but I can't use the side menu anymore to jump back at the history main screen. Might be the intended behaviour and pleco simply bringing up /staying on the history subpage I am already on. But I find it confusing - if I tap history while Pleco already displays the history sub screen / definition screen, my aim obviously isn't to stay there but to go back to the screen where I can choose another history entry.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@HW60 - at the moment you'll want the first / default back button option; the others (especially the last one) seem to be buggy regarding flashcard session exists.

@giokve - that was indeed supposed to be fixed, so thanks - we'll get to work on fixing it again :)

@kiraven - glad you're finding the thesaurus feature useful; lots more plans for that in the future, this is just a very early attempt (hence its being low-key and free).

History does sound bugged, yes. The second item is actually just something that it hadn't occurred to us to add even though we do do it on iPhone - the logical thing to do when you tap on a tab again is to jump back to the beginning, we do that in a few places (File Reader / Still OCR) but we ought to do it universally.

HW60

状元
@HW60 - at the moment you'll want the first / default back button option; the others (especially the last one) seem to be buggy regarding flashcard session exists.
The default back button does not work either.

When in portrait mode, full screen handwriting entry, I write the first stroke of the fourth character of a four character word during a flashcard session, this stroke is immediately erased, but HWR works. In landscape there is no problem.

Bugs: rotate the device from landscape to portrait then back again, the pop-up on the CHARS tab, the pop-up is at the top of the screen. (Img 1-2)

Searching for a headword, if you have searched for one in the past, and change the word, when you click on the "-", "AND", "OR", it brings back previous word. Also could we get an option to search the definition field?
In the old version after you searched and hit the back button the search term is keep in the search field, in the new version is lost.

Fill-in-the-blanks: During a test if you click the paint brush, then click again you can't get the writing box back (Img 3). Also if you select a word then follow to the definition, when you return the words are missing again, this was fixed in in B4.

Attachments

• tmp_Screenshot_2014-05-19-09-38-571842659327.png
    tmp_Screenshot_2014-05-19-09-38-571842659327.png
    159 KB · Views: 536
  • tmp_Screenshot_2014-05-19-09-39-05317129068.png
    tmp_Screenshot_2014-05-19-09-39-05317129068.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 515
  • tmp_Screenshot_2014-05-20-19-09-442102664397.png
    tmp_Screenshot_2014-05-20-19-09-442102664397.png
    186.5 KB · Views: 438

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@HW60 - sorry, there's supposed to be an 'exit' button if you're doing "repeat incorrect" so that you can stop a session before it's done; we'll make sure that's added shortly.

@ohlordamen - thanks. We actually opted not to bother fixing the bring-back-previous-word issue since it's been there for a while / hasn't generated many complaints and Search Cards is due for a redesign soon anyway; definition searches might come with that redesign depending on how things stand with our database format.

With your last issue "if you select a word then follow to the definition, when you return the words are missing again" - you say it was fixed in B4, do you mean that it's back again in B5?

Correct, it was fixed in B4, the word staying when you returned, and is now lost in B5.
Also what is the obb file for Pleco, cleaning space my phone and that popped up.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
.obb file is Google Play's archive package of our application data files - unfortunately no way to avoid having two copies of that at the moment.

HW60

状元
Also could we get an option to search the definition field?
You can create a user dictionary made of all your flashcards (export flashcards, import them into a user dictionary) - then you can do a full-text-search within the user dictionary until the option works.

Taichi

榜眼
read a local/googledrive file with reader -> go search (or search launcher) -> reader launcher -> crash
This doesn't happen with clipreader as far as i tried. I sent crash reports.