Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

mfcb said:
when i do a flashcard session, i ALWAYS use my bluetooth headset to listen to the male voice (did not test female yet). yesterday i experienced that pleco does not read about 50% of the words anymore after revealing the card. these words have no bluetooth sound also in normal dictionary mode: example 员,塬. these two are yuan2, but its not that easy, already said its about 50% of the words...
also when the 员 is in a compound it could be read, or not.

without the BT headset the words have sound ...

rebootet the phone, tried the SAME words again, same effect...

Interesting, relates to a bug that we fixed a long time ago with Bluetooth headsets - we'll try reproducing this here and let you know if we can't.

ckatt said:
Ah yes I had found that screen but I didn't know you could get to it by tap holding. That helps , still I find the welcome screen to but useless after one read so I still prefer the old way unless there is something better.

We can certainly add a button or link to get to it from the results without a tap-hold, but just presenting all of the entries from the dictionary feels kind of confusing - it's not at all obvious to a user what's going on there, and in general the "list mode" versus "dict mode" business of our old iOS app causes a massive, massive amount of confusion that we're trying to get away from.

mfcb said:
maybe i remember it wrong, but wasn't there a setting to switch on android status bar in reader and/or flashcard interface?

There's one on iOS but I don't believe we ever had one on Android - could certainly consider adding one, though.

ckatt said:
Ok not a bug just a request. It would be nice for there to be an option to create a new category when you long tap to add a flash card to a category. Maybe a button at the end of the list of existing categorys for making a new.

There already is - is it not coming up when you tap-hold on the + button?

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:
Ok not a bug just a request. It would be nice for there to be an option to create a new category when you long tap to add a flash card to a category. Maybe a button at the end of the list of existing categorys for making a new.

There already is - is it not coming up when you tap-hold on the + button?
Unfortunately its not, and my girlfriend who is using version 2.3.14 does not have it either.

mfcb

状元

mikelove said:
Interesting, relates to a bug that we fixed a long time ago with Bluetooth headsets - we'll try reproducing this here and let you know if we can't.
hehe, i remember i had that problem on winmo before, long time ago...

forgot to mention before, that the words that dont have sound, dont have it in any of the dictionaries, so all 7 or 8 dicts dont give me the sound for 员,but i can hear 服务员

mikelove said:
mfcb said:
maybe i remember it wrong, but wasn't there a setting to switch on android status bar in reader and/or flashcard interface?

There's one on iOS but I don't believe we ever had one on Android - could certainly consider adding one, though.
maybe thats also something i remember from old winmo days...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
Unfortunately its not, and my girlfriend who is using version 2.3.14 does not have it either.

Thanks, we'll investigate. Is this happening everywhere you might create a new card (including the dictionary definition screen) or only in (for example) the reader or in flashcards?

mfcb said:
hehe, i remember i had that problem on winmo before, long time ago...

forgot to mention before, that the words that dont have sound, dont have it in any of the dictionaries, so all 7 or 8 dicts dont give me the sound for 员,but i can hear 服务员

OK, hopefully we'll have it reproduced and fixed soon.

santiago

举人

User dictionary causing Pleco to shutdown.

Here is a simple 10 word txt file used to create a user dictionary. Importing causes no problem, but when searching for a word ( the character “一”) Pleco shows: “Searching, search in progress…” and eventually shuts down. Tried aLogCat but it only shows a blank screen on my movile.

I guess the problem comes from some words having 3 dots “…” but I used to use this file in pleco running on an ipod with no problems. I copy paste one of the words as an example: 一…就… yi1…jiu4… 表示una vez que empiezas haces algo pasa lo siguiente que pones

Pleco version: 2.4.0b2
Phone: Huawei C8812
Android version: 4.0.3

I love this software.

Attachments

• diccionario_clase_pleco.txt
    754 bytes · Views: 606

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

santiago said:
User dictionary causing Pleco to shutdown.

Here is a simple 10 word txt file used to create a user dictionary. Importing causes no problem, but when searching for a word ( the character “一”) Pleco shows: “Searching, search in progress…” and eventually shuts down. Tried aLogCat but it only shows a blank screen on my movile.

Thanks! Sounds like it might be some sort of infinite loop - we'll investigate further and hopefully get to the bottom of this soon. (this sort of relatively-obscure bug is exactly why we have beta tests... :) )

santiago

举人

Probably not bugs, just my incompetence…. :D

1) Having multiple char results for a 1 char input:
When looking for a word (example爱) I would like to obtain all words starting with 爱 (爱国 爱好, etc). I know this can be done using wild characters or through the “show in dictionary” feature (cool one by the way) but I would like to obtain it by default.
I have “Reset All settings” and disabled: settings /dictionary/ search settings/result display/ 1-char for 1-char . Still I only get one output when searching for爱.

2) Missing “Home” option in the Android Menu.
I have noticed that not all setting screens have a “home” option from the hardware Android menu button (I think only the two first levels have this option). Example: settings/dictionary/input methods has no “home” option.

santiago

举人

ckatt said:
Is there some way to disable the welcome from nshowing when there is nothing in the search box? I miss being able to easly browse through a dictonary. This was really useful with smaller custome dictionaries

We actually moved that function to the "Browse Dictionary" screen, accessible from Manage Dicts or by tap-holding on any dictionary entry - we've been playing around with something to replace the Welcome message, but in general we felt like having the list show search results one minute and full-dictionary browsing the next was causing too much confusion. Maybe one of the things we could replace Welcome with would be a link to that screen? What other dictionary-specific results /ptions might be useful there?

I kind of agree with 举人, it is fun just browsing around seeing the whole dictionary. I like the idea of a link/button which executes a "show in the dictionary" event from letter A (that is from start to fihish). The only problem is that the "show in the dictionary" event has no toolbar and thus no way to switch through dictionarys, which could (and only could) be a bit confusing for the user....

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:

Thanks, we'll investigate. Is this happening everywhere you might create a new card (including the dictionary definition screen) or only in (for example) the reader or in flashcards?
No it doesn't seem to work anywhere. The only way i can make a new category is through the organize cards screen.

santiago

举人

Missing dictionary list in bubble mode

Using the “bubble” definition popup (from reader or the usual word definition screen) I can switch between dictionaries by clicking on the dictionary icon with no problem (pleco C-E, Tutlle, etc) but if I keep pressed the dictionary icon the “choose a dictionary” popup menu is empty. I have “RESET ALL SETTING” and still have that problem.

Note: Apparently, if I press any "empty" space in the popup dictionary list it does change dictionaries so it may simply be a problem visualization (sorry for my poor english)

我要变成一个秀才啊!!

santiago

举人

This may NOT be a bug and is obviously not very relevant... but will allow me to became a 秀才 i guess

Missing android notification feature in flashcard mode.

When reviewing flashcards there is no access to the "Android slide down notification feature". You know, that menu coming up when sliding down from the top of the screen that has all missed calls, remienders, schedules, etc. I guess all android phones have that feature

santiago

举人

problems with Unihan dictionary

1) Pinyin searches do not work
2) pinyin tone colors do not work

Probably is simply because Unihan characters may have more than one associated pinyin, and probably this has been already reported... anyhow I thought better to report.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

santiago said:
1) Having multiple char results for a 1 char input:
When looking for a word (example爱) I would like to obtain all words starting with 爱 (爱国 爱好, etc). I know this can be done using wild characters or through the “show in dictionary” feature (cool one by the way) but I would like to obtain it by default.
I have “Reset All settings” and disabled: settings /dictionary/ search settings/result display/ 1-char for 1-char . Still I only get one output when searching for爱.

We currently don't allow that in merged searches for performance reasons - pulling out the entries in all of our dictionaries for a common character and then sorting / collating / merging them would take a LONG time. We might consider re-enabling it but we'd have to surround it with warning messages so we don't get a whole bunch of 1-star "This app is too slow!" reviews.

santiago said:
2) Missing “Home” option in the Android Menu.
I have noticed that not all setting screens have a “home” option from the hardware Android menu button (I think only the two first levels have this option). Example: settings/dictionary/input methods has no “home” option.

We don't really have a good way to put a menu in the settings screen on Android 4.0 devices without adding a big annoying status bar on top as well, so we opted to skip it there - it's a little annoying but we figure it's less annoying than that bar.

santiago said:
I kind of agree with 举人, it is fun just browsing around seeing the whole dictionary. I like the idea of a link/button which executes a "show in the dictionary" event from letter A (that is from start to fihish). The only problem is that the "show in the dictionary" event has no toolbar and thus no way to switch through dictionarys, which could (and only could) be a bit confusing for the user....

Well it's a different concept - switching would be tricky since then we have to keep track of locations or find some way to map a location in one dictionary to a location in another. We can certainly add features to that screen as people request them, though - the idea basically was to take this "fun" but not particularly critical feature out of our main screen in order to make that screen less confusing.

ckatt said:
No it doesn't seem to work anywhere. The only way i can make a new category is through the organize cards screen.

Hmm... well we'll try to get this sorted soon, thanks.

santiago said:
Using the “bubble” definition popup (from reader or the usual word definition screen) I can switch between dictionaries by clicking on the dictionary icon with no problem (pleco C-E, Tutlle, etc) but if I keep pressed the dictionary icon the “choose a dictionary” popup menu is empty. I have “RESET ALL SETTING” and still have that problem.

That one's been reported - should be fixed in Beta 3.

santiago said:
When reviewing flashcards there is no access to the "Android slide down notification feature". You know, that menu coming up when sliding down from the top of the screen that has all missed calls, remienders, schedules, etc. I guess all android phones have that feature

That should be fixed too - we're probably just adding an option to bring that bar back.

santiago said:
problems with Unihan dictionary

1) Pinyin searches do not work
2) pinyin tone colors do not work

Probably is simply because Unihan characters may have more than one associated pinyin, and probably this has been already reported... anyhow I thought better to report.

That's been true for a while since we don't currently support multiple Pinyin readings for the same entry - we'll be fixing that in a few releases, though, I think.

Yiliya

榜眼

It seems that 'Search for clipboard' (Startup Actions) no longer works.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yiliya said:
It seems that 'Search for clipboard' (Startup Actions) no longer works.

Yeah, seeing this too. It won't work as well as it did before we changed our launch behavior, since it's no longer practical (or even necessarily desirable) for us to always return you to the search screen if the clipboard has changed since you last opened Pleco, but we can at least make it work that way if you launch Pleco from the dictionary launcher shortcut, or anytime if you return to the main screen.

Yiliya

榜眼

That option was very useful to me. I'd like to see it re-implemented in one way or another.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yiliya said:
That option was very useful to me. I'd like to see it re-implemented in one way or another.

It'll certainly work again as long as you don't mind launching Pleco from a shortcut instead of the main program icon - would that be acceptable? It already wasn't working if you went into Pleco from the application switcher on Android 3.0 or later; all we're changing is that it will no longer work from the main program icon, since we're now obeying standard Android convention and returning you to your last place in the application when you do that.

Yiliya

榜眼

mikelove said:
It'll certainly work again as long as you don't mind launching Pleco from a shortcut instead of the main program icon - would that be acceptable?
But will it still send me to reader if the clipboard string is over X characters long?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yiliya said:
But will it still send me to reader if the clipboard string is over X characters long?

Yes. We could also add an option to create a reader shortcut that always opens in clipboard mode even if you previously had a text file open - would that help matters any?

ckatt

状元

OK maybe this is a weird request but it could be useful for a lot of people.
most phones a have sensor on them to know when the phone is against your ear so it can turn the screen off. would it be possible to use this switch to play the audio for a dictionary entry or flash card? often when i'm in a crowded or loud place it's not that convenient to turn the volume up really loud and even then i sometimes cant hear a word to clearly or i hit the wrong button because i'm trying to hold the speaker on the back of my phone to my ear while pressing a button on the front. this would also free up some button space for me in the dictionary as it could be a good alternative to having the play audio button on the menu bar since i could just cover the sensor with my finger.
thanks again mike, keep up the good work!
-chris