Pleco 3.2.7/iOS9: flashcard/字 handwriting recognition issue

etm001

状元
Hi,

I'm using iOS 9/Pleco 3.2.7, iPad Air 2. I noticed that when I enable 字 during flashcard testing, the handwriting recognizer doesn't register when I tap the screen to write a simple dot (such as in characters like 滷,鹽,etc.) I've verified this using both my finger and stylus.

A few days ago, before the 3.2.7 Pleco update on iOS 9, it seemed like there was lag registering quickly drawn strokes as well, but since the update I haven't noticed this so far.

Edit: after using 字 continuously for 30-40 minutes, I have to say that handwriting recognition seems off. Very short strokes (e.g., the three strokes the top of 常, etc.) are sometimes not registered. My handwriting feels sloppier now; something doesn't seem quite the same as before.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Already fixed the dot issue in the 3.2.8 patch we uploaded 2 days ago; however, we are going to do a bigger rewrite of the handwriting box shortly to take advantage of 3D Touch (among other things), in the course of which we'll also be upgrading the rendering engine so it should end up feeling smoother than it ever has before.

In Pleco 3.2.8 on both iPhone (5) and iPad (air 1), both running iOS 9.02, I can't get the handwriting flashcard tests to work at all—not a single stroke is registered. Using the handwriting input method to search in the dictionaries works as usual.
I haven't used the handwriting test for a while so I'm not sure when it broke, if it was when updating to ios9, Pleco 3.2.7 or even earlier.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, that one's news to us (and we're not seeing the same issue on a test device here). By any chance did you enable the option in Test Settings for flashcards to score only when you finish writing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Was it not working or was it working how it was supposed to? (the whole idea of that option is that you don't see any character recognition results until you clear the box by tapping with two fingers - that way you don't get any hints)

Oh, I had forgotten you had to press with two fingers, I just tried the done button. Now it works correctly. Thanks for the help!