Palm T3 or PDA?

Ken

Am about to get my first Palm or PDA, just for Pleco dictionary. I don't want to spend more than $200 (that would get me a used T3 on ebay). I like the T3 for its expanding screen size (my eyes aren't what they used to be) but I understand that other non-Palm PDAs will have clearer character images, larger sizes and enlarged headwords.

I'm leaving again for China in 5 weeks. This computer-challenged old-timer would appreciate any suggestions on hardware, or on whether to go with the T3 or not. Finally, Mike, can you tell me when the "recommended hardware" page will be updated and when the non-beta might be ready?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I think the T3's a great system, personally - you're not likely to find a Pocket PC that's much better for under $200, and the clearer character images mainly apply on VGA Pocket PCs (which have a lot more screen resolution with which to display characters) - characters on a T3 will likely look better than on a non-VGA Pocket PC, and I think the starting price for VGA ones is in the $300s.

The finished PPC version should be ready well before that 5-week mark (in fact my personal goal is to have a nearly bug-free Beta 2 out early next week and 1.0 out by the end of it), but if things go badly or there are more bugs in Beta 2 than we expect, the 1.0 release might not be out until the end of October. Or later... given Pleco's history I really shouldn't even be making vague predictions about release dates anymore.

I don't know when we'll update the recommended hardware page, but there's so little variation between different Pocket PC models that it really doesn't make that much of a difference which one you get... The iPaq 2215 is a pretty good choice that should be available under $200 if you hunt around, it's one of our test systems so it's likely to be as bug-free as any Pocket PC as far as running our software goes.[/b]

vrixon

举人
From a 2210 user

This might spark a war, but if you can get an iPAQ 2210 or 2215 depending on where you buy it for anywhere under the $200 mark I highly recommned it. The dual format expansion cards (Compact Flash and SD) are a great advantage.

I have been running a 2210 for the last two and a half years and I am REALLY happy with it. I would only upgrade for a bigger screen or perhaps a built in WiFi capability (but I have a CF wifi card that does the trick and still leaves me the SD slot to put Pleco in and out as I need it.

The Palm users in my workplace are a little envious of how the beta looks on my screen vs theirs, but I think it is pretty close (as Mike suggests) unless you really blow the characters up. I use an input editor called CE-Star and it is brilliant for getting characters into all your applications without having to go for a Chinese OS.

Food for thought in your five week countdown ...

adamlau

探花
Why not go with an E2 + SD card? Both can be had for right around $200.00 when you factor in the $50.00 E2 rebate). The screen is bright and applications open up fast enough. It runs a more recent Palm OS as well...