Palm OS for Linux

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
http://www.palmsource.com/announcement/communityletter.pdf

PalmSource just announced that they're working on a version of Palm OS that runs on top of Linux - not quite a window manager but a software layer that allows Palm OS software to run on Linux-based PDA's and smartphones.

Based on what I'm seeing in this article, I don't see any reason why any of our products wouldn't work on this, so those of you looking to divest yourselves of Palm/Sony hardware but hoping to avoid Microsoft might have a third option through this "Palm OS for Linux".

It won't be ready for quite a while, unfortunately, but it's something to look forward to at least.

goulniky

榜眼
From what I understand, that would mean PalmOS runs on top of a Linux kernel (Chinese made to boot), which should have little implication except for (some) developers.
What it doesn't mean is we could run Linux apps on a Palm device.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well no, it probably won't make Linux apps usable on a Palm device, but what a lot of frustrated Palm users tell me is that they love the Palm OS but hate the hardware and this does have the potential to greatly expand the number of Palm OS hardware manufacturers. (hence my specific reference to avoiding Palm and Sony, or just palmOne now)