Opinions on ABC E-C and Tuttle dictionaries

Hi, thanks for reading.

For context, I'm a teacher living in China and currently studying at HSK 2 level. I have the HSK 2 test next month then I'll be moving onto HSK 3 with a view for completing it by next summer.

I'd like some opinions on the two dictionaries mentioned in the title. I recently persuaded my girlfriend who has just started studying Chinese to buy the basics bundle like I have so she can use the flashcards, stroke order diagrams, etc. When I went through all the things I got she also mentioned the ABC E-C dictionary, but I didn't get that when I purchased the bundle. Considering the basics bundle consists of the "essentials", is this a dictionary worth purchasing separately? I've had a quick look at it on my girlfriend's Pleco and can't imagine what I'd use it for, but perhaps I'm missing something?

More interesting to me is the Tuttle Learner's dictionary. It seems great for someone like me who's at the beginner's stage. I'm tempted to download it but thought I'd get some opinions from here first!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any replies!

Shun

状元
Hi Ashley,

I would go for it, I think the example sentences in that dictionary (or the Tuttle Chinese Dictionary which has even more) are very clear and useful not just for beginners. The ABC E-C dictionary isn't really needed, as you can do full-text searches on the ABC C-E dictionary and get good results.

Cheers, Shun

Last edited: