New Pizza Places in the Univ. Area

Claire

Pizzahut: 4th one in the area opened in November, north of the recently built magnificent Haidian Theatre on Zhongguancun St. 10min walk to Peking Univ or People's Univ.

Domino's: currently promoting 2004 VIP membership - buy one pizza and get a 2nd for free; can also upgrade 2003 member card. personal favorite branch: the one east of Shuang'an Shopping Mall, on the 3rd ring road.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Kudos...

for taking my offhand comment and running with it 8)

Seriously, if you've never been to a Pizza Hut in China it's well worth a try; a world apart from the American version.

Rafael

秀才
Papa John's is great too. There is one in Shanghai, Pudong, near the Carrefour, convenient to all living in the Green Villas, Tomsom Villas, Seasons Villas areas.

rapoto

探花
Carrefour is great - they have Blue Cheese now (at least in Suzhou)
Auchan is good - Baguette is crispier than Carrefour
Cittyshopper in Shanghai has great selection, but prices are worse an award from the Mafia
Best beer in town is Erdinger White-Beer... Import from Bavaria

Kajo

I agree... Pizza Hut in China is quite good, really upscale too compared to its US counterpart. But for the absolute BEST pizza experience in Beijing I recommend you get yourself to The Tree. It's located on sanlituan(r)... They have the BEST beer there, or at least they did this past summer. It's called Rodenbach. Grab a beer and a wood fired pizza, heavenly.

John

举人
I've been in Beijing twice in the last few months but I haven't tried a Pizza Hut. Meal times are too precious given the limited number of days I'm in China!

Which brings me to wonder ... how is a Pizza Hut in China different ?

John said:
I've been in Beijing twice in the last few months but I haven't tried a Pizza Hut. Meal times are too precious given the limited number of days I'm in China!

Well, for starters I don't think prawn are on the appetizer list here in the states. I'm not even sure what prawn are. Also, beware of the green tea ice cream pie.

Jim

榜眼
sui.generis said:
John said:

Well, for starters I don't think prawn are on the appetizer list here in the states. I'm not even sure what prawn are. Also, beware of the green tea ice cream pie.

Prawns are shrimp or are not shrimp depending on where you come from. To some people shrimp are only very tiny and prawns are what is between a prawn is what falls between a shrimp and a lobster which means a very wide range of sizes and varieties. To other people, if is smaller than a lobster it is a shrimp.

While pizza hut are better overall Dominos has Kong Pao Pizza which is a surprisingly good pizza version of Gong Bao Ji Ding although the quality control does vary a bit more at Dominoes than Pizza Hut.

minnes

秀才
Kajo said:
But for the absolute BEST pizza experience in Beijing I recommend you get yourself to The Tree. It's located on sanlituan(r)...
Do have an address for it? I will be in Beijing (studing at CNU) this May, and would be intrested in going there. If not, I will ask around.

A

Anonymous

The Tree

Hey all,

From a former Beijing resident, just check out the free local listings magazine "That's Beijing". You can find it in just about any hotel lobby / foreign cafe / restaurant. The style can be incredibly annoying (expats pretending they REALLY understand Beijing, etc), but the restaurant, bar and club listings can be useful on a spare Friday night. It's a little better than (but nowhere near as funny as) The Exile, the Moscow listings paper.

The same crowd also produces a book called "The Insider's Guide to Beijing", which is basically an expanded version of the magazine. You can find it in most large bookshops, and it's a lot better than the Lonely Planet.

Good luck! (I wish I was still there!).

Daniel.
Jinhua, Zhejiang Province.

Sorry for not stumbling across this thread sooner folks. The best pizza in Beijing hands down is Kro's Nest. There's one due north of the Beida West Gate (next to 101 middle school), and another one at Gongti right behind Vic's.

Giant fresh hand-tossed pizzas for the same prices as the tiny ones in Pizza Hut, tons of beers... I could go on forever.

Seriously, if you haven't tried it, you've been missing out.

bpruden

Ma Guo Tou said:
Sorry for not stumbling across this thread sooner folks. The best pizza in Beijing hands down is Kro's Nest. There's one due north of the Beida West Gate (next to 101 middle school), and another one at Gongti right behind Vic's.

Giant fresh hand-tossed pizzas for the same prices as the tiny ones in Pizza Hut, tons of beers... I could go on forever.

Seriously, if you haven't tried it, you've been missing out.

I absolutely agree. And Kro (yes, that's his name) is an awesome guy.

I have to beg to deffer on this Pizza Hut biz, I'd say their inconsistent, sometimes OK at best. The Hidden Tree is great, but in the university district I'd hit up the Kro's Nest for a good pie. It was started by an American/Norwegian friend of mine who only loves two things: hand-tossing pizzas and having a good time. You can find directions here: http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/l ... kros-nest/