New Forum Software

Wan

榜眼
If the "Rich Text" editor is being displayed, it sounds like you aren't seeing the mobile version of the forum. What web browser are you using on your phone? Have you configured the user agent string in the browser to fool the forum into thinking that you are using a PC?

Hi,

that may actually have been the case, I use the latest beta of the Dolphin browser and switch between Android and desktop user agents sometimes, because some sites work better on the one or the other. My bad. Anyway, disabling the rich text feature works.

Wan

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The new forum looks nice. One nit: it seems like inside a forum, the last message links on the RHS aren't there if one is not logged in. The date of the last message is shown, but the link to the last message is not present.

Hmm, yeah, that's an odd one... doesn't seem to be a permissions setting so I'm guessing it's just a bug in the forum software.

I would prefer some more contrast - the dates are light grey on white which is only slightly better than white on white.

Good point, thanks.

radioman

状元
Still getting used to the new forum software, but it looks like a nice refresh... One thing I am trying to find is if there is a way to reverse display conversations in the forum. I know that could be set on the previous platform.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Still getting used to the new forum software, but it looks like a nice refresh... One thing I am trying to find is if there is a way to reverse display conversations in the forum. I know that could be set on the previous platform.

Thanks!

Could you be a little more specific? Which conversations are you referring to?

Thanks!

Could you be a little more specific? Which conversations are you referring to?
I have the same problem:

The posts all show with OLDEST first.

Second problem for me is that I'm not getting any emails on any of the posts that I subscribed to in the past. And, there doesn't seem to be an option to make that the default for any new posts that I subscribe to.

I also don't see any way to change the formatting/styling. There's not much contrast in the colors, especially in the "reply" box, and I was hoping to be able to change it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The posts all show with OLDEST first.

Yes, there doesn't seem to be an option in XenForo to change that - however, clicking on a thread title takes you to the last page of the thread.

Second problem for me is that I'm not getting any emails on any of the posts that I subscribed to in the past. And, there doesn't seem to be an option to make that the default for any new posts that I subscribe to.

That one's news to us - any chance that your account email might be configured incorrectly?

I also don't see any way to change the formatting/styling. There's not much contrast in the colors, especially in the "reply" box, and I was hoping to be able to change it.

AFAIK there's no way for users to customize individual design elements, but we could certainly look at adding an alternate high-contrast skin - take a look at:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles.29/

Do any of those leap out at you as being more usable?

I got an email with your reply, so I think my email is configured correctly. What I don't get are any emails from threads I was subscribed to before you switched to the new forum. I thought I had checked the forum about 3 weeks ago, but I'm not sure. I do know that the last time I looked (before today), it was still the old forum look.

It might be better to select 3-5 template looks and then run a poll. I didn't try and look at very many of them. It looks like one can also do template changes rather than buying someone else's set. Perhaps something very simple, basically a couple of color changes that would still complement your new pleco.com website, etc? I can live with these colors, it's just a little harder to view what seems to me to be a "light black" on pink, and a gradient of lighter to darker pink for the "xyz said" title bar.

I actually (so far) don't see a title thread while looking at the thread. If it's taking to the first unread response in the thread, then it's OK. Perhaps it's just because it's my first day on the new forum, and it will take a little while for things to catch for for me.

I was mostly bummed out that I didn't get an email of a new release - haha.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not sure, no - just did a quick JavaScript profile of the forums in Chrome and they were only using 0.016% of CPU power once they'd loaded, doesn't seem to be any continuously-running script that might slow things down. Do you have any Chrome extensions installed that might be getting in the way of things?

HW60

状元
I use high contrast and HTML5 Flash Warning Fix for YouTube. I deactivated all extensions. Now I can switch the fan on and off by switching high contrast on and off - but only on the Plecoforum page.

Edit: It takes about three minutes until the fan starts for the first time.
Edit2: No fan in Pleco.com and Plecoforum.com, but below Plecoforum.com in Members, Search Forum, Recent Threads

Last edited: