minor feature request - "excluded" flash status icon

捞什子

秀才
I've come to rely quite heavily on the "Exclude From All Sessions" button as my my vocabulary grows with increasingly more compound words. What I like to do is exclude old cards with short headwords that now serve as the components of larger compound headwords in newer cards. This prevents extra repetition of the smaller components.

These days I have so many cards that I often can't remember which components have standalone flashcards, but it's easy to check by looking at the flash status icon in the popup definition interface.

1197319314.png

From here, I tap the flash status icon to add the card to the current default category, then tap it again to bring up the Duplicate Card dialogue so I can get at the Card Info button and proceed to exclude the card from all sessions then remove it from the new category it was just added to.

The only trouble is that oftentimes when I reach the Card Info statistics tab, I find that the card has already been excluded from all sessions. This wastes only a couple of seconds, but I do it several times a day and every time it throws me off my test groove! You know what I'm talking about.

Currently I have over 400 cards with priority "exclude from pool" so it's pretty hard to mentally keep track of them all. To solve this problem, I'd like to request a new flash status icon for cards that are excluded from the scorefile currently being tested. It might looks something like this:

1565871769.png

This way I could tell at a glance if a component like 殷情 does have a standalone flashcard but has yet to be excluded. For components like 相反 that I can see have already been excluded, I would save myself a fruitless expedition to the Don't Exclude From All Sessions button.

Shun

状元
Hi, I've read your post closely, let me add my idea of how I would do it:

You could create a new category for cards you do not want to have yourself tested on. Whenever you chose "Exclude from all sessions" before, you move the card to that category. (so it isn't in the category it came from anymore) Then, before a test session, go into Settings > Flashcards to change the default category to the category with the excluded cards. Now, whenever you tap on a word and the border around the [+] button is solid, you will know it has already been added to your Exclude from All Sessions list.

There are two additional possibilities: If you copy the card you'd like to exclude to the new category (so it also remains in the original category), you can enable a Card filter to exclude cards in that category from all tests. Or, you just move it there, so it doesn't appear in a test. Would that work for you?

Regards, Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This would pretty much be my recommended approach for now, yes - we may not even keep 'exclude from pool' around as a separate item in a future release (but instead automatically convert it to a category like the one @Shun is describing). In the not-too-distant future we plan to add category 'tags' to the popup reader just as we already offer in the definition screen, so that will give you a very easy way to see from the popup that a card is or is not in that 'excluded' category.

捞什子

秀才
Good call Shun. Adding to the exclude category works like a charm. Fast too. Looking forward to the expanded tag functionality Mike.