Latest Announcement Email / iOS Beta

dcarpent

榜眼
In your announcement email you listed a number of features in the upcoming release. You didn't mention support for PDF or EPUB in the Reader. I believe you have said in the past that this is now implemented. Is this still part of this release? Also, do you still have plans to release your own books in EPUB, a kind of Pleco bookstore?

weingin

秀才
I really like that you're gonna set up your own syncing system, I found this to be more reliable (than Dropbox or iCloud) in other apps. But still, I have some questions regarding your new flashcard database syncing system:

Will there be some sort of multiple user support for this, ideally like shared folders in Dropbox?
On behalf of fellow 汉学 students and myself: We take turns entering 生词 into Pleco each week, and just uploading them into a shared cloud database seems much easier than sending mails to a couple of people.

Will it still be necessary to download flashcards and then import them, or will that happen automatically?

Are you planning on charging anything for this service? Subscription or one time addon purchase?

Thanks for all your work (and especially for "seriously considering" a Mac OS version)! :)

yoose

探花
signed up! looking forward to the new version. flashcard sync and cantonese support will be very useful

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In your announcement email you listed a number of features in the upcoming release. You didn't mention support for PDF or EPUB in the Reader. I believe you have said in the past that this is now implemented. Is this still part of this release? Also, do you still have plans to release your own books in EPUB, a kind of Pleco bookstore?

Yes - didn't have anything new to say on it and the email was already pretty long so that's why I didn't bother mentioning it again. However, EPUB support at least may require iOS 7, since there's a particular feature Apple just added that's going to let us greatly streamline one aspect of it.

Not so many ipod touch 4g pleco users?

Some, but that's why we're keeping 6.1 support initially. And thanks to iCloud, if you wipe your device you can get back the old version that worked on your device even if we've subsequently released a new one that doesn't. (which wasn't the case when we dropped support for the iPhone 3G since that never supported iCloud)

I really like that you're gonna set up your own syncing system, I found this to be more reliable (than Dropbox or iCloud) in other apps. But still, I have some questions regarding your new flashcard database syncing system:

Will there be some sort of multiple user support for this, ideally like shared folders in Dropbox?

On behalf of fellow 汉学 students and myself: We take turns entering 生词 into Pleco each week, and just uploading them into a shared cloud database seems much easier than sending mails to a couple of people.

We've got a file-sharing component too, but that's the second phase of it - initially it's just a way to sync your private database between devices. We hadn't actually considered doing a cloud document feature yet but it's certainly possible anyway - would probably have to wait for a flashcard system redesign to accommodate multi-user list editing, though.

Will it still be necessary to download flashcards and then import them, or will that happen automatically?

That second phase I mentioned would allow you to select a file on the server and have it download / install automatically. But again, not in this release, since sync is far and away the more popular feature request.

Are you planning on charging anything for this service? Subscription or one time addon purchase?

Not at first (aside from the fact that you'll need the paid flashcard module), but we aren't ruling it out in the future.

Still looking for beta testers?

I can try on any of the following if needed:

iphone 4 6.1.3
iphone 3gs 6.1 [jailbroken]
ipad mini 6.0.2 [jailbroken]
ipad 1 5.1.1 [jailbroken]

Feilian

秀才
Hello Mike !

A small word to express my gratitude for having brought the Grand Ricci dictionnary on Pleco. It is a wonderful dictionnary and such an impressive work, the result of so many years of work.
I also think you made them aware of what is happening in the (wild) world of technologies, which is quite good for them !
Thanks a lot, it really is wonderful,

Christian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
A small word to express my gratitude for having brought the Grand Ricci dictionnary on Pleco. It is a wonderful dictionnary and such an impressive work, the result of so many years of work.
I also think you made them aware of what is happening in the (wild) world of technologies, which is quite good for them !
Thanks a lot, it really is wonderful,

No problem! Very happy to hear you're finding it useful. (and yes, it was nice to be able to bring them up to date)