I've had enough of Windows Mobile

Lurks

探花
You don't think there's a really big difference between a full featured OS and a supposedly real-time operating system?

I think you and I may sit on the other side of an idealogical divide in that respect. I think if you do something on a phone and it's sluggish, you need to stop doing that and figure out what you can do. That's how we go about computer game design at my company. I'm kind of filled with fear that phones would ever become something like XP. Minutes to boot, system trays, the whole UI and properties system etc. I quite like XP on a desktop but it's pretty much nothing like what I'd want on a phone and I mean the low level OS in that as well. The whole registry system, the services model... it's just not great.

I think mobile phones need to come at implementing an OS from the UI level and because you don't need all this crazy backwards compatibility, and the myriad of features, it's easy enough just to roll something suitable up. Microsoft has truly vast resources. If Google can lash up a seriously impressive phone OS in next to no time and plan out a timetable of truly major updates in time scales of months... that's what MS is dealing with.

I thnk their best approach is to leave the team on doing WM which are doing it and build a new team to do kick out something new. The market is moving too quickly for them to patch over WM I think. Just take a look at the updates kicking out from Apple and Android and wonder if playing catch up to nimble teams like that is going to deliver the goods.

P.S. Me wiping flash cards, no need to apologies that it's a reasonable place to put them. I was being too hasty. Incidentally I tried some ROMs with 6.5. It's kind of amusing really, pop up boxes are finger operable and strange semi-modern UI features appear in ancient UI elements like shaded scroller bars and stuff like that. In the end though the front end issue was an utter ballache, Titanium has to be hacked by 3rd party tools just to put your stuff in it. Phone was definately faster though! In the end I plumbed for Dutys which is a 6.1 build with all the newest stuff from other HTC unreleased models etc. It's way better than the ROM I was using before and it's faster too.

Time to work through 2,000 HSK cards to see which ones I remembered... MIke while I think of it, is there a way to sort of export cards you don't know in a category? I'm guessing you can use the search functions which seem pretty powerful. My thought was that it'd be very useful to be able to get back onto the PC a list of words which I've not remembered (often having trouble with) so I can print them out and shove on my monitor at work or something.

Ultimately I'd like to create some system where I take my top 20 cards which are somehow causing me difficulty and print them out to cram on. Bit off topic this... :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh I definitely think there's a difference there, I just think that at this point the internals of WinXP could potentially translate to a better real-time operating system than Windows CE - Linux works great as a real-time OS, after all. They wouldn't be bringing over the XP user interface or its long boot time / myriad background processes / etc, just its more modern kernel.

Microsoft has a couple of WM replacement projects going on now, I think, I'm just not sure if any of them are actually going to amount to anything when they're done. Nimbleness has never been one of their strengths, but they do have a lot of smart people and a lot of great technologies for doing pretty much anything so it's largely a matter of putting the right pieces together in the right way.

The unofficial 6.5 ROMs all seem to be a little wacky at this point, though I imagine they'll improve quickly once 6.5 is officially released.

And you can export cards you don't know using a search, yes - go into Manage Cards and do a search by score, # correct, or last correct, then once you've got the results list tap Batch and Export to export it.

Lurks

探花
Thanks Mike. Having upgraded to the last beta in the process I see the compounds page now scales wonderfully on the phat res of the touch HD. Thanks for that, it's awesome :)