iTouch Pleco release?

Maqqie

Hi Guys,

I am very interested in purchasing the full Pleco dictionary set as I have heard Pleco is one of the best electronic chinese dictionaries out there. However my problem is this.

I will be leaving for China in about just over 2 weeks time and I do not own a WM device. I do however own an iTouch and I read that there is an iTouch Pleco compatible version coming soon. Is it likely that it will be released before I leave? If not I am willing to buy a new mobile phone with a WM based operating system just for Pleco but it definitely would be a lot cheaper for me if I could just get Pleco on my iTouch :).

I do apologise if this question has been asked before. Thanks in advance.

Maqqie

P.S I forgot to mention, the phone I am eyeing is the Samsung Omnia II (i8000)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
2 weeks is unlikely, unfortunately - we might have submitted it to Apple by then (depending on how smoothly the launch of Beta 3 in a week or so goes), but given the complexity of our app it'll probably take them at least another week or two to approve it (and that's assuming they don't find a problem and reject our first submission).

One alternative you could consider would be to buy a really cheap used Windows Mobile or Palm OS handheld, use Pleco on it for a little while, then switch to our iPhone software once it's released. We can't promise at this point that it'll be possible to migrate licenses from the WM/Palm version of Pleco to iPhone / iPod Touch - we're hopeful that it will be, but we won't know for sure until we get our app past Apple's approval people - but even if you end up having to purchase a brand new copy of the software for your iPod, the cost of that will probably be less than the price difference between an Omnia II and a cheap used Palm.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Soon, we hope, but most of the remaining uncertainty is on Apple's side of things so it's tough for us to make specific predictions.

Ordered an iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Generation with the #1 (2 and 3!) reason to use Pleco. How much longer do you all think it will take before release?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not yet - mobilizing users against Apple is kind of a Hail Mary tactic, so I'd rather not do that unless they do something really appalling (e.g. if they reject our app because "pleco" happens to be a substring of "apPLE COmputer").