Importing Flashcards - where did they go?

Hi, first post here.

I'm trying to learn sending flashcard sets from my android to my PopupChinese vocabulary list and back again.

I send from the phone to the PopupChinese website fine in xml file format, not too many edits needed once on the site.

Then when I export from the PopupChinese website in ‘Pleco' format (just a txt file, not xml) everything seems to go OK at first but I fail at the last step. When I try the import, Pleco asks me if the characters look OK and they do. But then, when everthing seems to have finished I don't know where I can find the new flashcards and start using them in Pleco. They don't appear in a new category or the default category. So where did they go?

many thanks
坏学生

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They should be in a new category - not sure why they wouldn't be added correctly; could you PM or email me with a copy of the file?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Cards only go in Uncategorized if they aren't already in another category - I'd suggest inserting a category header at the start of your text file (single line consisting of // followed by the category name) so that they'll end up in a new category.

Edwin

Hi, the // hint didn't work for me (running android). The cards still appeared in 'uncategorized'. Have you got any idea why?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Were the // the first two characters of the line? Were they half-width rather than full-width?

Edwin

I'm sorry I was just being stupid. To summarize for other beginners like myself – to import cards:
In a Microsoft Word write
// Category Name
as the first line of the file
Then write out your list of words.
Save as .txt
When prompted, choose 'Other encoding', then 'Simplified Chinese' or 'Traditional Chinese'
Send to and save on your phone.
Click 'import cards' on Pleco. Click 'Choose file'. Select your file. Then click 'Begin import'. When prompted, if Chinese characters don't show up, change 'text encoding' until you find one that works. For me GB-2312 is the one that works.

Saluki

Another hint: Sometimes when I write cards from scratch I accidentally use backslashes (\\) rather than forward slashes (//). This will cause the first line to show up as a separate card instead of a card category.

Edwin

Hi, this method that I used three years ago no longer works – I can't find any possible combination of encodings on either Word or TextEdit that works. Any ideas about which combination I should use?

Shun

状元
Hi,

I would use UTF-8 or maybe UTF-16, this is the most modern Unicode format. On the Mac, only Word 2016 is able to save in this format, but you can use the free TextWrangler from the App Store to save the text as UTF-8. On Windows, any version of Word will do.

Edwin

Great, thank you! It worked with UTF-8 on Word 2016 for Mac (I'd tried UTF-8 earlier with TextEdit) but it didn't work.