Import of English-to-Chinese flashcards not working

Feihong

I'm unable to import English-to-Chinese flashcards, although I can manually create them just fine. To illustrate my problem, I manually created three cards in the format that I wanted:

XLduyQ5.png

The Edit Card screen for each flashcard looks something like this:

mQT5Seh.png

I export these cards to a file called three-flashcards.txt, and then delete the original cards from my database. Then I go through the import process, making sure to specify that the headword is in English. During the import process, the Encoding Check dialog looks fine to me:

6kPshqd.png

However, after the import completes, the headword is missing on all the cards:

t3IsdZe.png

What am I missing here?

In case it's useful, I've attached the three-flashcards.txt file that was exported by Pleco.

Attachments

• three-flashcards.txt
    120 bytes · Views: 400

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... what do you see in the Headword field if you edit the newly reimported cards?

Also, out of curiosity, why aren't you simply importing these as character<tab>definition<tab>pinyin C-E cards? It seems that you only have one Chinese word per card anyway, so you could import them that way and then simply configure your test with "Show" set to "Pinyin + Definition" to get the Pinyin + English parts first.

Feihong

Here is what I see for the Edit Card screen of the newly reimported cards:

Jif9Ywr.png

Interestingly, if I press the Switch Language button, I can see that the imported data is there, but it somehow isn't being treated as the headword:

KEinSSE.png

Feihong

Also, your question is a really good one and it leads me to believe that I'm probably not approaching this correctly. I can't use the solution you suggested because most of my cards are normal Chinese-to-English cards. The cards I was trying to import are actually supposed to be hanzi-writing cards, where I'm given the pinyin and the gloss and then I'm supposed to write the corresponding hanzi.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You would definitely want those to be Chinese-To-English cards, then; rearrange them as characters<tab>pinyin<tab>definition, import them as C-E, then do a test with "test type" "fill-in-the-blanks" and "prompt for" "characters."