HVGA resolution supported?

nivi

I plan to buy an HTC HD mini but its odd resolution (HVGA / 480*320) keeps me worried. Does the pleco dictionary support this resolution? If not, can we expect its support in the future?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That one I'm not sure about - we've never had an opportunity to test Pleco on a device with that resolution (not even in an emulator). In theory it should work - we do support 320x320 screens, so the resolution is already something we have code to deal with - but as far as I know you'd be the first person to actually try it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Great! If it doesn't work, let me know and we'll see about fixing it - new WM device releases are about to become much less frequent, so we'd certainly like to make sure Pleco is at least basically functional on all of them.

nivi

I received my device today and after instaling Pleco on it I am glad to report that it works like a charm. :) The display being capacitive, the character regonization is a little bit more difficult to use but everything else is working great. Compared to my old device (HTC touch Diamond) it´s a good improvement thanks to the bigger screen size.

nivi

Actually after spending more time with the dictionary on my new device I find it quite hard to use. No because of the screensize but mainly because of the capacitive screen. Pleco is rather stylus friendly although nowadays more and more devices are getting fingerfriendly. Can we expect to see a more fingerfriendly version of Pleco in the future? Maybe something similar to the iphone version?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can actually get a capacitive stylus for HTC devices now - seems to work pretty well, though still not quite as accurate as a stylus on an older resistive screen.

As far as a finger-friendly version of Pleco for WM, that depends a lot on how sales of the WM version hold up after we release a flashcard-equipped version on iPhone; we're planning to keep updating WM with cross-platform enhancements (new search types, flashcard algorithm changes, etc) either way, and of course keep fixing bugs, but WM-specific capacitive screen improvements only make sense if we've got a decent number of people buying Pleco specifically to use on the HD2 / HD Mini.

Shadowdh

状元
Actually after spending more time with the dictionary on my new device I find it quite hard to use. No because of the screensize but mainly because of the capacitive screen. Pleco is rather stylus friendly although nowadays more and more devices are getting fingerfriendly. Can we expect to see a more fingerfriendly version of Pleco in the future? Maybe something similar to the iphone version?

If you havent already try running the screen alignment setting which I found helped amazingly... also with practice I found that my writing characters became easier and easier even in the smaller writing screen in the flash cards...

You can actually get a capacitive stylus for HTC devices now - seems to work pretty well, though still not quite as accurate as a stylus on an older resistive screen.

As far as a finger-friendly version of Pleco for WM, that depends a lot on how sales of the WM version hold up after we release a flashcard-equipped version on iPhone; we're planning to keep updating WM with cross-platform enhancements (new search types, flashcard algorithm changes, etc) either way, and of course keep fixing bugs, but WM-specific capacitive screen improvements only make sense if we've got a decent number of people buying Pleco specifically to use on the HD2 / HD Mini.

I used the stylus for a bit, it was a bit unwieldy but with a bit of practice it was ok to use, however after time it does lose more and more of its ability to write on the screen... not sure if its because something gets broken in the stylus or if a coating wears off... I am waiting for the day they bring out a much more usable and pointy type stylus that can truly utilise the capacative screen...

nivi said:
Actually after spending more time with the dictionary on my new device I find it quite hard to use. No because of the screensize but mainly because of the capacitive screen. Pleco is rather stylus friendly although nowadays more and more devices are getting fingerfriendly.

I have the Diamond Touch which I think is really crap. The right side of the screen often does not work, so it's very hard to use the 'back' button on the keyboard. Hope that is history soon.

I was also checking the HD Mini. Pleco works on it, good. How is the finger operation on the keyboard? You use full QWERTY keyboard? I can't imagine how to use that without a stylus. I haven't heard about "capacitive stylus" (other then a video I saw with a mini salami), but it looks like a good option. And how is the character drawing?

Pleco is the ONLY function that I really want and use.

(Actually I would get the new iPhone HD but I guess the US will be SIM locked and the 'open' one will not be in Hong Kong before the end of the year)