HTC / Dopod / O2 Diamond

renovator

榜眼
Now into fourth month of using HTC touch Diamond and I love this smartphone more and more each day. If you are an avid user of this phone with programs such as Pleco, you will notice over time that you get out of memory messages. These became a distressing nuisance to me as the more I used the phone, the more often these messages came up. There is a known memory leakage problem on this phone which HTC has not yet corrected in their latest ROM.

I installed DinarSoft Memmaid 2.3 about one week ago and it totally resolved this problem. You can schedule this software to clean your memory (mine is scheduled for once a day in the morning) and you will be amazed as to how much memory it recovers each day. I did not want to post anything here until I tried it for several days and made sure that it did not screw up any other programs. The program lists for $19.95 but when I went to purchase directly from DinarSoft, it was discounted to $15.99 during the checkout process. There is also a try before you buy option, but I was so impressed with this I bought it on day 2. Their products are listed at the following website.

http://www.dinarsoft.com/products/

A couple of tweaks I have also used on the phone are the cab to add the day next to the date on the home screen and the cab to add extra cities to the weather that were not available in the original software. Anyone interested in these cabs, just let me know (they are both freeware) so I don't want to list them here as I believe Mike gets concerned about freeware containing viruses.

Thanks, renovator, for the lead on Memmaid 2.3, I downloaded the trial version ... Don't really see much difference in performance, but then I'm not sure what benchmark I'd use to measure that by ... I've been using the Touch Diamond for about a month and haven't yet seen a mem alert but mem management is in the back of my mind, especially as I look forward to one day having the ability to cut and paste freely between apps, not to mention Pleco 2.0's bigger dictionaries ... At start-up I'm at about 50%, and as I open programs (Pleco, vSnap, Handnotes, etc.), that jumps to about 70% ... A Memmaid QuickClean doesn't free up much RAM ... But I'll probably buy it just for the peace of mind, the only stumbling block now is that I registered as a member but the site is refusing to discount the $19.95 up front -- maybe I have to get past supplying my credit card info before it kicks in ... Sadly, I think I'm running ROM 1.00.25.05 (vs. your 1.93), so maybe I should do sth about that, too ...

I got my Diamond now!

So how do I make ZTA4 run? I have the Sunglobe.cab file and those 4 files there are in it. It does successfully install - but I still can't read any chinese, just get squares.

ldolse

状元
ZTA4 only lets you input Chinese, it doesn't install the fonts so that you can read it. Where did you get the sunglobe.cab? Sounds like it didn't set the registry keys right.

renovator

榜眼
tianjinpete said:
Thanks, renovator, for the lead on Memmaid 2.3, I downloaded the trial version ... Don't really see much difference in performance, but then I'm not sure what benchmark I'd use to measure that by ... I've been using the Touch Diamond for about a month and haven't yet seen a mem alert but mem management is in the back of my mind, especially as I look forward to one day having the ability to cut and paste freely between apps, not to mention Pleco 2.0's bigger dictionaries ... At start-up I'm at about 50%, and as I open programs (Pleco, vSnap, Handnotes, etc.), that jumps to about 70% ... A Memmaid QuickClean doesn't free up much RAM ... But I'll probably buy it just for the peace of mind, the only stumbling block now is that I registered as a member but the site is refusing to discount the $19.95 up front -- maybe I have to get past supplying my credit card info before it kicks in ... Sadly, I think I'm running ROM 1.00.25.05 (vs. your 1.93), so maybe I should do sth about that, too ...

I did not even think about memmaid until I started to get low memory messages. Then read about unresolved leakage problems and gave it a try. It takes a few days to get used to it because in the advanced options, hundreds of areas of the phone can be worked on. In the basic options, it does a fine cleaning job for me. I may have had the problem also because I installed Pleco in the main memory rather than in the internal storage. Pleco 2.0, of course will have to go into main storage because of its size. If you have ROM 1.00.25.05, I would think that the touch flo control would be balky to use. Touch flo was not easy to use on the early ROMS, especially when trying to add cities for weather, get to programs, etc. Since you have to wipe the old ROM clean before doing uprade, you should consider doing this sooner rather than later.

ldolse said:
ZTA4 only lets you input Chinese, it doesn't install the fonts so that you can read it. Where did you get the sunglobe.cab? Sounds like it didn't set the registry keys right.

Sunglobe.cab seem to be just the fonts with no other software. Now I found this link: http://www.trendsmobile.com/main/showse ... rentID=255

From there I got the VGA screen and it works fine (so far) after a soft reboot.

Another link with some screen shots: http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=92734

ipsi

状元
All that means is that your Diamond is now able to accept wireless connections from other devices (e.g. a laptop), which would allow them to use the internet connection provided by your Diamond. Alternatively you could connect multiple other devices to it (e.g. 2 laptops, iPod Touch), so that they can communicate with each other over wireless. It's kinda cool, but I'm not sure how much use it would ultimately be...

I also want to add how I am finally happy with the Touch Diamond.
This phone was a dog when it first came out, but the newer ROMs have made a huge improvement. I was ready to send it back and I think I said as much in this forum.

It's now about as reliable as my Centro was.

My only gripes now are the annoyingly rear case that rocks on the table and stupid situations where the virtual keyboard obscures the very field you need to type into (not with pleco tho) and similar gripes about cutting and pasting.
Also for some reason the plastic covering the hardware buttons started to curl at one corner and I had to shave it off with a razor as it was getting worse. It also seems to be happening on an edge of the screen as well. It could just be me keep things like keys in my pocket with it, but still a bit disappointing.

Also, Palm OS was lightning quick in comparison...especially in Pleco :roll:

But, everything else about the Diamond is beautiful. The Centro had a great price point, but it should have been out a year earlier.
You can't help but feel the Diamond set a new benchmark for functionality/form factor.

I never, ever thought I would buy a MS phone. I wish it was running some new multi-tasking version of good old palm. Maybe Android?

MPenguin

秀才
I bought an HTC Touch Pro in Taiwan this weekend (They were released on the 20th). This phone is sweet.

Got Pleco running right away. Pleco does autorotate - no 3rd party programs needed.
The full qwerty keyboard is great - I can type English words, pinyin, or use Zhuyin Fuhao. It is Taiwanese, so of course everything is Chinese. Once I get a hold of the ROM, I'll probably try flashing to English. Depending on how I like it, I'll keep the English or flash it back to Chinese.
The Pleco Handwriting works quite well with the stylus, too.
I'm loving it so far. Just thought I'd add my 2 HTC NT.

How you check the ROM version for the Diamond? Mine from a friend of a friend of another friend and was originally Chinese. CDs etc. are in Chinese. I wonder if I have a later English version.

Otherwise everything is fine. The games are a little small on the tiny screen. Pleco is still OK, just.

renovator

榜眼
flameproof said:
How you check the ROM version for the Diamond? Mine from a friend of a friend of another friend and was originally Chinese. CDs etc. are in Chinese. I wonder if I have a later English version.

Otherwise everything is fine. The games are a little small on the tiny screen. Pleco is still OK, just.

Several ways to check ROM on Touch Diamond but easiest is Start>Settings>System>Device Innformation>Version

That will give you ROM version, ROM date, Radio and Protocol versions I am now on 1.93.401.2 WWE and everything works very, very well. You may want to add a few additional tweaks or software, see thread below.

renovator

榜眼
flameproof said:
I am on 1.93.831.1 WWE

Now, is that good or bad? I have no real complains though.

Looks like you have got the latest and greatest ROM. There are additional tweaks available through the xda dev site.

nicefreak

I've just bought a HTC Touch, mainly to use pleco.
I have not used it before, but the program seems to be of great use to me.

My HTC Touch has a German version. I did install the pleco demo version, but my device does not seem to be able to display any chinese characters. Little boxes is all I see, when there is supposed to be a character. What other programs do I have to install on the HTC, how can I get those? Will anything change when pleco 2.0 comes out?

Thanks for your help, Martin

renovator

榜眼
nicefreak said:
I've just bought a HTC Touch, mainly to use pleco.
I have not used it before, but the program seems to be of great use to me.

My HTC Touch has a German version. I did install the pleco demo version, but my device does not seem to be able to display any chinese characters. Little boxes is all I see, when there is supposed to be a character. What other programs do I have to install on the HTC, how can I get those? Will anything change when pleco 2.0 comes out?

Thanks for your help, Martin

You need to install CE Star for WM 6. Check your HTC install CD and see if it came bundled with your mobile software. If it did not come with the install CD(they only bundle CE Star for certain markets), then you need to order it from Mobem for a modest fee (They will give you a free test of their software for a few days). Only their WM 6 version works with HTC. Then you will be able to input and read your chinese characters rather than just getting those boxes. You are almost there. CE Star is an easy install and you will really enjoy Pleco.

nicefreak

Instead of purchasing CE Star (which is another 43 bucks), would it be of any use, if I get a chinese mobile phone shop to install a Chinese version of Windows mobile on my HTC?
Does pleco run on such a version?
Thanks again!

Wan

榜眼
I recommend visiting this site.
Read throught a lot of stuff. Flash HardSPL, get a better radio firmware and the ROM (WindowsMobile 6.1)of your choice in the language of your choice, which probably means German or English.
You'll have have much longer battery life afterwards, talking about 100% longer usage until recharge 差不多. The system will be much faster, too. Many advantages.
There are some tweaking tools out there you can use to disable unneeded stuff et cetera, you'll know best.
You can of course skip these above steps, but the latter is important:

install:

Sunglobe: This is a very nice Chinese font. No problems displaying characters anymore.
and
ZTA4 (Diamond needs VGA version): This is the character input method of your choice. It's free and good. It's got nice PinYin, stroke order and abc input methods. No need for more!
You'll find them both following this nice link

Have fun and don't spend too much time configuring, which I did.

Phil

Mao Zhou

秀才
I have the HTC Diamond. The screen is smaller but of high quality and great resolution. I can see things better on it than on my old MDA with a much bigger screen. I love it. You can also turn it 90 degrees and read wide-screen which is helpful. I use GSen for that and it works with about 95% of the apps that I've tried. The tilt game on the HTC is addictive.

It does have GPS capability but the only software I tried was from HK and not useful in Beijing.

For me the battery life is tons better than my old MDA. I can go about two days with minimal usage and about a day and a half with lots of SMS and Pleco action. It does charge with a standard USB cable and believe me I've tried it with dopod, motorola, Samsung camera, etc charging units. Seems to work okay but your mileage may vary so be careful you dont fry your new phone!

As far as input I use the freeware chinese ime written by Asukal (supports radical and pinyin although he calls it ping ying (not a typo). He wrote it in 2006 but it still works fine and is very un-crashy or buggy. Check out xdadevelopers for that.

You will need to do the fontmap thing and I have to tell you until I wrote my own _setup.xml it messed up my HTC and I had to do a Hardreboot and reinstall from the ROM about six times. Now it works great and I use the YiHei(sp) ttf font which for me is easier to distinguish than the Kaishu type fonts.

I dont understand what you mean by Chinese writing. If you mean using the stylus to write characters and have it recognize and put in a doc I have never had much luck with it on any Windows Mobile device. I tried both CE-Star and Monster but my phone kept locking up. Asukal's freeware does it.

I love the HTC Diamond and I'l be happy to share my experiences or help anyone who has one. BTW, I purchased my phone slightly used in Beijing CHEAP!!!

renovator

榜眼
Mao Zhou said:
I have the HTC Diamond. The screen is smaller but of high quality and great resolution. I can see things better on it than on my old MDA with a much bigger screen. I love it. You can also turn it 90 degrees and read wide-screen which is helpful. I use GSen for that and it works with about 95% of the apps that I've tried.

It does have GPS capability but the only software I tried was from HK and not useful in Beijing.

For me the battery life is tons better than my old MDA. I can go about two days with minimal usage and about a day and a half with lots of SMS and Pleco action. It does charge with a standard USB cable and believe me I've tried it with dopod, motorola, Samsung camera, etc charging units. Seems to work okay but your mileage may vary so be careful you dont fry your new phone!

A) You can customize your GSen to work with just about any app you have. I have not had any problems after customization although for some apps such as home screen I would rather not have it rotate so that one is selected out. The customization is easy and instructions are included with the GSen software.

B) The GPS capability works great and you can use it in Beijing. I do not have the Beijing map as my time is spent in Shanghai so I use the Shanghai map but Beijing is available through Map King. I have found Map King to be a pretty awesome product for very low software acquisition cost.

C) I charge my phone all the time through USB whenever I am in office. This is also great function on those 17 hour flights between US and China. I plug my computer into airplane seat port and then plug my HTC Diamond into computer so that phone stays fully charged during long flights when i enjoy doing several hours of flashcards at a time.

D) Handy Converter 1.2 by http://www.penreader.com is also a neat little piece of cheap software I use daily on this phone for currency conversions, as well as temperature,lengths, volume, weights and other conversions.

E) some of the tweaks on the XDA developers website are also great to add day function to phone home page, additional cities in the weather section for cities not normally available on HTC and a few others

I have had my HTC Diamond for about 6 months now and continue to find it is by far the best smartphone I have ever had.