HTC / Dopod / O2 Diamond

I am thinking of buying the HTC Diamond English version. I am most interested in the GPS navigation. I run Pleco on my h1940 PDA right now and of course want to use it on the phone then.

I have a few queries:

Is the Diamond screen big enough for Pleco? It's much smaller then my PDA
What is best to us for writing Chinese (outside Pleco, SMS etc. - MonsterChinese was recommended to me)?
How is the battery life? (I read with GPS navi it's only 1.5hrs)
Can it charge via USB?

I use CE STAR for writing/reading Chinese in applications other than Pleco. However, CE STAR does interfere with some of my other apps sometimes, and it can cause a person's PDA to hang sometimes.

sfrrr

状元
I have used both Monster (a little) and CE-Star (a lot) but have found, much to my disappointment, that CE-Star plays a bit better with other Chinese and non-Chinese programs. But every once in a while, it gets flaky in various unpredictable ways. I have yet to find a Chinese IME for English-language OS PPCs that isn't flaky.

Sandra

Beside Pleco (which runs in itself anyway) I would use Chinese only for:

read/write an SMS from time to time (using Pinyin input)
writing down a Chinese address (probably via click and paste)

ldolse

状元
Use ZTA4 for Pinyin input.
Use Hanwang for handwriting - I just tried installing it, it works great though it says trial.

Use the forum search function to find the links for them, they're referenced in a bunch of posts.

renovator

榜眼
I run Pleco on my HTC touch Diamond and that is after previously having had Pleco on an IMATE which had a larger screen. I had initial concerns before purchasing the Diamond that screen size could be a problem but it has not been an issue at all. The resolution of the HTC screen is awesome and you should have no problems either in dictionary or flash card modes. I can't advise you exactly on battery life as I never let my battery run down more than the half way mark before doing a recharge. Half way mark is about 3 hours of flashcards.

The GPS runs very well and I use it with the Mapking Shanghai map. When in GPS/Map mode the battery does consume much faster, but don't believe it will last only 1.5 hrs. I would not think that you would leave your mobile in GPS mode with map running most of the time.

This has been a fantastic little smartphone, packed with fetures and light enough to carry in shirt pocket.

The Phone will charge everytime you attach it to your computer via USB which is why my battery never runs down all that far. Synchronization works very well and you can synchronize with multiple computers although it will only push/pull sync emails through your primary computer. The phone charger is USB as well so either way all of your cable connections to the HTC will be through USB connections. The Phone uses a mini USB connector so your cables will be regular male USB to mini USB. The cable supplied with the phone is only 18" long so way too short if you want to use your phone comfortably while plugged into the charger or your computer but longer 6 foot cords are easily available online through various suppliers.

I would recommend that you make and use a longer stylus than the one that comes with the phone if you are going to do flashcards for hours at a time because the stylus provided is pretty miniscule for US size hands.

This phone also uses a tempered glass, rather than plastic screen and have found this to be a great feature in using flashcards for long periods of time. It is more comfortable, more sensitive to stylus and offers better resolution than plastic screens.

Along with others who've posted on the Dopod, I want to add a few thoughts on the Chinese-interface version of the Dopod (S900 Touch Diamond) in relation to Pleco, which I've run for several years on a Palm Tungsten T5 ... I've been playing with the Dopod S900 for a few days now, comparing it to the Palm experience ...

- "Diamond" I think refers to the raised pyramid-style backplate of the Dopod S900 phone, which I suppose is a good way to add protection for the rear-facing camera lens, but one perhaps unintended consequence is that the phone does not lie flush on a flat surface ... So if you place the phone on the table and try to write on the touch screen, the phone's body tends to wobble as you press down with the stylus ... You could use your other hand to stabilize the thing, but that's a little awkward ... I guess the designers figured everyone would be holding the phone while inputting, but apps like Pleco are input intensive ...

- Convergence is great, I can now walk around with a single device that lets me make phone calls, send/receive text messages in Chinese, run Pleco, etc. ... But I can't seem to figure out how to leverage convergence when I most need it ... For example, if I'm writing a text message and I look up a word in Pleco, I can copy that word to the Pleco buffer, but I don't see any way to insert that character into an outgoing text message field, since there's no "copy and paste" associated with writing an outgoing text message .. (I'm using the resident text message editor)... Conversely, I can't copy words in a text message I've received and paste them into Pleco ...

- I experienced several hard resets of the Dopod S900 as I poked around with Pleco running in the background while I was receiving and sending text messages ...

- The guys in the store threw in a free Kingston 1GB microSD, but when I got home I found there isn't any way to install it in the phone ... I wondered about that as I was resetting the Dopod a second or third time ...

- Having installed the full Pleco (ABC, NWP, Oxford C-E and the engine), I noticed a perceptible drag on overall memory, the clock and calendar came up more slowly, the TouchFlo feature was slower ... Pleco seems to run fine, though, and as renovator says, the display is awesome, bright and clear through that tempered glass, although now when I Iook at the Palm version of Pleco, the text seems huge compared to the Dopod! ...

- In terms of inputting in Pleco on the Dopod S900, in the "draw hanzi" Chinese mode (马兰花输入 ma lan hua shu ru), when you first bring up the screen you sometimes can't begin drawing hanzi right away ... You have to take an extra step to activate the input rectangle either by tapping in the input rectangle or hitting the "fill the input rectangle with the current entry" arrow, then erase that content, and then the character you draw on the screen can be selected from the candidate list and will fill into the input rectangle ...

- In the draw hanzi mode, the character-pairing look-ahead feature is great (something I've always missed on the Palm version), but there's a slight drawback when you want to input words with repeated characters, as the list of 候选 (hou xuan, candidate characters to choose from) does not allow the same character to be chosen successively ... For example, to produce "客客气气" ("kekeqiqi"), you have to draw "ke" then "qi," then go back and draw "ke" and insert between "ke" and "qi" then finish up by drawing a second "qi" ... If after drawing the first "ke" you hit the "ellipses" on the extreme right of the screen, you will find more "look ahead" character pairings (35 for "ke"), but I couldn't "客客 keke" on that list ...

- On the Dopod, the entire surface above the text writing area, including the gray area that contains the input rectangle and the menu items at the very top of the screen, appears to be touch sensitive, and this means that if, say, you want to erase the contents of the input field, and you miss hitting the eraser icon, you end up drawing an unwanted character, usually an apostrophe ... This fills the input box and resets the character selection list as the bottom of the page; net is, you have to erase the unwanted character, (you've lost whatever previous input you had in the box) and redraw the characters ... The eraser target is very small and the margin for error is very high -- maybe I need that longer stylus someone mentioned ... And I'm a lefty ...

- I guess you could use the "back" arrow on the extreme left of the ribbon at the bottom of the page in the "draw hanzi" mode, but I counted no fewer than five "back" arrows on the screen (delete, move cursor back, etc.), and it gets a little confusing when you are concentrating on what you want to input ... Erasing is a useful function, but now I'm a little shy of it on the Dopod and find myself hoping I haven't entered the wrong characters ...

- Drawing a line from right to left will erase a character in the input rectangle, but also sometimes draws unwanted characters (彳, 亻, etc). ...

- In general, shifting between the pinyin and "draw hanzi" input modes is more difficult on the Dopod S900 vs. the Palm device, mainly because on the Palm there's no need to switch, since all modes can be present on the same screen ... On the Palm, pinyin and "draw hanzi" co-exist ... On the Dopod, in pinyin mode the space above the keyboard is disabled for drawing, so it's single-mode entry ... To switch to "draw hanzi," you have to tap the pinyin symbol, bring up the list of entry methods, and chose "ma lan hua" ... But after you bring up "ma lan hua" and draw a character on the screen, the software sometimes refuses to place the selected character you've drawn from the "hou xuan" list of candidate characters into the input rectangle, unless you go through the steps described above for activating the field prior to entry ...

radioman

状元
This is interesting. I am looking right now at any number of Windows Media phones here in Dalian.

The ONLY reason I would want to have the phone and the handheld computer together is to intertwine Pleco with the phone text messaging system so I can utilize Pleco in sending and receiving messages.

Right now I use a Motorola SLVR and stick my PalmPilot next to it, both fit simultaneously into my left hand, so I jockey between one device and the other as needed to decipher and create messages. The SLVR is annoying from a pinyin input perspective, so I was hoping a smartly designed Windows Media based phone would provide the integration, but now looking at the posts here, It sounds like that is not the case.

I am looking at HTC and some other chinese based ones, but would also well consider (and prefer...0 a separate handheld computer, especially if the Pleco/SMS interaction just is not there.

I would be open to hearing more detail or comments on this as I was looking to make the move in short order.

Ed.

ipsi

状元
Pete: Couple of notes. 1) The Diamond has a 4GB internal card. It can't be removed, but it does come as standard and I would suggest moving most of the Pleco stuff to that, rather than Internal Memory.

Also, have you tried Pleco's Instant Access function? I don't think you can copy characters from Pleco (copyright restrictions...), but you can use IA to lookup the definitions.

I'd personally flag handwriting on a PPC device and just use keyboard input as it seems to generally make everything unstable...

renovator

榜眼
Of course the new touch diamond pro has a keyboard and card slot but nothing I am interested in as it weighs about 50% more than the touch diamond. New ROM has just been released for the touch diamond now making it Quad band. That was a fantastic surprise.

Ipsi, thanks, I should have mentioned that when I first loaded Pleco onto the Dopod, I put everything but the engine on internal mem, until I realized that the whole app could reside there, unlike on my T5, where it was split up ... After that, everything has gone a lot more smoothly (with Pleco in place, I'm using about 30MB of the 4GB, not all of that is Pleco, of course)... About Instant Access, honestly I haven't tried to activate it, I don't really see how to get at it in the menu, which seems reduced from the Palm version I was running, but I may be wrong about that, maybe it's just an illusion caused by the micro-font on the Dopod, hehe ... Plus I've been reading some of the earlier posts about solutions for copy-paste and Pleco, and I haven't seen anything that convinces me there's a viable workaround for the Dopod -- although as always Mike has stepped up to see what can be done on the Pleco side -- looks like I may have to wait until Pleco 2.0 ... The thing is, my history with the T5 pretty maps with what others have said: constant resets, physical screen degeneration (right now because of a calibration problem, I can't bring up anything on the Home menu strip at the bottom of the screen), not to mention limited utility -- for about five years I pretty much used the T5 just for Pleco, and had to carry around a holster filled with other devices ... At airports I was like Mad Max checking in at the Thunderdome ...

The more I use the Dopod Touch Diamond the more I like it, and now that my need to send and receive text messages in Chinese has increased exponentially, I'm really happy to have Pleco on a phone, and I think that as more users come on board someone will work on the interoperability as well as the interface issues I raised earlier ...

Renovator, I wonder whether I missed the boat on the ROM upgrade? ...

Yeah, that Victor looks good too ... Thanks, westmeadboy ... My T5 was tanking and I had to do something quickly, so I opted for the Diamond ... The good news is that I'm not as dependent on a dictionary as I used to be, so I probably can adapt to the backplate design, I just thought it was funny that a touch-sensitive device that can and will be used for documents (else why put Office Mobile on it?) and heavier text messaging did not consider greater overall stability in the design phase ... The last thing on my mind was the need for an external keyboard ... What I meant about the ROM update is, I don't want to switch to an English interface on my Diamond, I prefer the Chinese, and I was wondering whether there was a chance they'd included that update on my Diamond -- maybe they did, but I doubt it, as there's nothing in my documentation about Quad band ... I'll have to go look for the Chinese version, unless it's on the site you pointed me to, but I didn't see it there right away ...

renovator

榜眼
tianjinpete said:
Renovator, I wonder whether I missed the boat on the ROM upgrade? ...

It does not matter if you missed the boat on the ROM upgrade, I am sure there will be many more upgrades. When you registered your phone, it also signed you up for the HTC e-club. Just go to the e-club and and you can download the sprite backup that had not been available for some serial numbers and the latest ROM. It will tell you to check your rom first to make sure that you don't allready have the latest version. The reason you don't want to upgrade unnecessarily is that you need to do a complete backup of your system as the ROM upgrades wipe out all of your data, add-on programs, etc.

ipsi

状元
Rennovator: Sure, it's fairly heavy, but it's still probably lighter than my 680 (with 2400 mAh battery), and only a few grams heavier than a stock Treo 680, while being smaller in every other way. And I'm not really willing to go without a physical keyboard. So yeah, basically sold on the Touch Pro provided I can find it for a reasonable price...

renovator

榜眼
For HTC Touch Diamond Pleco Users. The HTC touch diamond auto rotates screen in certain programs, but not all programs. It does not auto rotate Pleco for example.

There is a free shareware add on program available called GSEN. Just Google GSEN aotorotate touch diamond and it will give you several places where you can download this shareware.

Just download to your computer, copy to Internal Storage through autosync. Open file manager on HTC phone and run it. It is a great little program that allows you to autorotate anything on your touch diamond including Pleco. If you used Show sketch box taller under test preferences (manage flashcards), it is best to uncheck the taller option as the box covers some of the definition text in landscape mode when checked. This option now leaves plenty of room to write short sentences found in Pleco in landscape mode.

Rotating the Pleco screen has been high on my wish list, given all the time I waste playing Teeter, I've gotten used to the view :) ... So thanks, renovator ... I've installed the .cab file and can see the GSEN folders in the file manager, but can't quite get the app to rotate anything, but I'm working on it ... Oops, actually it is working now, great ...

renovator

榜眼
yes, I should have mentioned that GSEN puts 3 icons in your Program file. The GSen Toggle Icon allows you to turn the GSEN application on and off by clicking on this Icon. The GSen CFG icon is kind of neat, especially the #fdscreenoff(0/1/2) option as it allows an option to either turn off screen on mobile or suspend all operations, same as pushing on/off switch by just putting phone down on its face. The third icon is not used unles you want to remove program.

The GSen CFG allows some pretty neat options to customize GSEN by application.

This neat little piece of free shareware also works for some, but not all other mobile phones

I got a little nervous when my local Chinese paper published the specs on the Samsung SGH-i688, but now that I look more closely I think my Dopod S900 Touch Diamond stands up pretty well against it ... Same screen quality and size ( 2.8 ), as far as I can tell ... TD-SCDMA seems to be an SGH-i688 advantage, but that's not so important to me ... Don't know the Samsung's price or availability (apparently it was rolled out on a limited basis for the Olympics), and I'm still trying to find a way to improve the Dopod's 192M RAM ... But Pleco runs great on the Dopod, and I'm happy to have moved away from the Palm platform ...