How to learn in batches with SRS?

Discussion in 'Pleco for iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch' started by Edsko de Vries, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Chrysmc

Chrysmc Member

This is an amazing help. Thank you. I'm so grateful to everyone who takes the time to post. I had an awesome Skype session with Shun, which worked well for my learning style and got my basic settings in place. Now, with these settings, I can expand on them. Thanks again.

2. Chrysmc

Chrysmc Member

I've set up my test profiles with the settings that have been so kindly shared. Thank you Edsko and Pdwalker. You're truly wonderful. I've just run into a couple of minor issues that I'd like to ask you about.

With the Reading (New Words) profile, I don't get the option to reveal separate parts. The test settings list 'Number of choices'. The option for this is 4 or 5. And 'Choices from'. Options are All cards, Session catergories and custom categories.

In the Pinyin testing, I get a message to say 'No flashcards found'.

I'm loving the app now, especially with the variety this setup gives me. I'm not the smartest compound in the character, so any help is warmly welcomed!

3. Shun

Shun 状元

Hi Chrysmc,

too bad I can't be of much help here because I prefer the simpler "splitting categories, repeating them back and forth and setting card filters" approach to the SRS, because I feel it gives me more control.

Just a thought that came up regarding the "No flashcards found" message: Could it be that you have already studied the category using the first setting, then after switching to Pinyin testing, used the same scorefile? If so, you could try creating a dedicated scorefile for each testing profile. For that, you just switch between profiles and add a new scorefile under "Scoring" / Scorefile / Manage / New for each profile. But as I've stated, I may be thinking in the wrong direction. :)

4. Chrysmc

Chrysmc Member

Hi Shun,
    It was your help which gave me the start to being able use Pleco at all and I'm super grateful for it! Thank you. I'm still using your concept of smaller categories and I choose multiple categories to study, depending on my current focus. I'm not sure if that's a good way of doing it or not but at this early stage, it seems to be doing the job. I was able to use the same categories for each of the other testing, even after using them previously. But I'm actually quite confused about scorefile. Can you explain it to me at all? I created the 5 different scorefile profiles (Reading, listening, writing, speaking, pinyin) but didn't enter any parameters for the them. (That sentence alone probably shows how little understanding I have!).

5. Shun

Shun 状元

Yes: A scorefile keeps scores and the history (how well you've done, or how many answers were correct/incorrect) for each card in the flashcard database. If you're good at reading, the scorefile of the "Reading" profile will have higher scores than, say, the scorefile of the "Listening" profile. Having different scorefiles lets you keep the record of your learning success separate for each discipline. This will influence the selection of cards Pleco tests you on in the different disciplines.

6. Chrysmc

Chrysmc Member

Ahhh, ok. So I don't need to set any parameters up because Pleco does it for me. And I can see the results in 'statistics'. My Pleco fog is starting to lift!

7. pdwalker

pdwalker 秀才

Yeah, it took me awhile to get my head around it. This thread is what got me my clue.

After you've played with the different tests, you may change your test profiles based on what works for you. For example, when I first ran my listening tests, I would only show audio. However, I had to many problems identifying the sounds based on a single character (as many words share the same sound and intonation), so I changed my listen test to also show the characters.

Once you've gone through the settings for yourself, re-read the pleco documentation. It's a great reference, as long as you already know what you're looking at, which is true for most things unfortunately.