how to create chinese ebooks:

gandq

探花
hello,

recently someone from the forums asked me how to create chinese ebooks. as it might be of interest to others as well, here is a short guide:

first of all, you need a chinese OS like CJKOS or ChOS (which i use and which is the best, in my mind). next thing is some ebook reader like TiBR (freeware) and a tool for creating palm databases (pdb). i use TL-BDB, which is also freeware and which supports chinese. you can find both on http://www.freewarepalm.com.

then you just import the chinese text you want to read into TL-PDB. if you use the microsoft internet explorer, there is even an option for an integrated TL-PDB toolbar, so you can immediately create palm docs while browsing (i use firefox, so i have to copy/paste). save the file.

one important thing i found out is that the "language setting for programs not using unicode" (that's my translation, don't know the english name for it - you find it in the regional setting in the control panel) has to be set to simplified chinese. if you want to import SC text files, that is. i bought my notebook in taiwan, so it was set to traditional chinese and the text got messed up. you have to find out a setting that works for your needs and with your system.

finally, you just hotsync the files created (TL-PDB has a button for this) and can enjoy reading chinese docs on your palm (and using the plecodict resident)!

cheers,

jo.

mai

秀才
Hi gandq!

Thanks for the tip. Just downloaded TL-PDP and it works like a dream! Can now read all my home-made chinese docs in iSilo.

Waited a long time for an app that is actually doing the job :) Great!

Mai

David

举人
A couple weeks ago I came across a palm application that allows one to view text files without converting to .pdb format. I haven't tried it and don't remember where I saw it, but maybe someone else knows.