Help w/ Flashcards Please

joefish

Hi there,

Been using Pleco on and off for a while, but just started using paid flashcards module. Not sure how to achieve what I want:
  • I want to learn vocab and characters from the Chinese Made Easier textbooks. I found the flashcards for this on here, downloaded them and they're working.
  • The way the textbooks are set out, I want to learn some vocab now. As characters are introduced throughout the lesson-spread, I want to learn those later.
  • What combination of settings do I need to learn just vocab now (I've figured out how to get it to show the pinyin without the character), then at a later date, start mixing in SOME characters? I'm using SRS, so as characters are introduced, I don't want the system to think I've learned a character when I've only learned the pinyin for it.
Hope that makes sense! Thanks for your help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

If you'd like to have cards progress to characters once you learn their Pinyin well, go into Test Settings and set "subject selection" to "score-based"; you'll then see that in the main New Test screen you have options to configure different test fields for different ranges of scores. This works best if cards are moved up to characters at a relatively low threshold, since if you miss a card on that it boots you right back down to reviewing Pinyin again (but will promote it more quickly the second time around).

If you want to track characters and Pinyin totally separately, the best way to do that would be with separate 'scorefiles' - you can create / manage those through the Scoring screen. With that you could do a character test with one set of cards and a pinyin test with another and neither test would influence SRS spacing in the other - this can be a good approach with textbooks since you're handling cards in relatively small units anyway and so don't necessarily really want to have each card going through a set 'progression' - you'd rather make sure that you have characters for chapters N through P totally down before the next exam.