Great PDA/MID for Pleco

thph2006

进士
Hi everybody,

I wanted to share some information with any of you who've been looking for a modern replacement for the type of WM PDAs that used to be available for Pleco (like Axim, iPaq...). I just ordered a Samsung Mondi. It has virtually everything I've wanted in a Pleco device but couldn't find for the last two years, and the price isn't bad either ($359.99 from letstalk.com with discount coupon code WWMAG2 (if it's still available) which get's you 20% off the listed price of $449. It's probably not for everyone since the large screen (4.3") makes it less pocket friendly than the typical mobile phone and it doesn't include a traditional cell phone radio, but if you liked the iPaq 211 you'll probably love this device.

Here are some of the key specs:

The Samsung Mondi includes the following features ((From Pocketables.net with some additions by me in double-parens)):
* ((800 Mhz Arm 11 processor))
* ((4.3" 800x480 color transflective TFT LCD touchscreen (resistive)))
* ((4-row slider QWERTY keyboard and optical mouse))
* Windows Mobile 6.1 ((probably hackable to 6.5 in the future via cooked rom))
* ((Skinned with Samsung's Touchwiz 2 interface to hide WM ugliness))
* Microsoft Outlook and Windows Mobile Office
* WiMAX Mobile Internet Access
* WiFi Access (BTv2.1+EDR)
* GPS: Route 66 Navigation with Preloaded Maps
* 4GB of Internal Memory ((and Up to 32GB of microSD storage))
* Direct Push/Mobile Email (POP3, IMAP, SMTP)
* Supports Instant Messaging and MMS
* ((Supports VOIP and Internet phone calls using integrated microphone and WiFi or WiMAX))
* 3.0 Megapixel Camera and Camcorder ((plus Webcam))
* Bluetooth ® 2.0
* Opera 9.5 Web Browser
* HDMI TV Out
* Supports Multiple Video and Audio Player Formats
-------------
Additional Details
Samsung Mondi Size Comparisons from pocketables.net
Samsung Mondi Detailed Specs from pdadb.net
Samsung Mondi Detailed Specs from umpcportal.com

Now, for your homework assignment: If you found this helpful, please help me by sharing links/info to get my Mondi into Pleco shape in terms of Chinese support, additional apps, etc. I've never done this before so any guidance would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot!
-Tom in CA, USA

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sunglobe and either ZTA4 or PlumSip are the main things you need Chinese-support-wise, I think - search around the forums and you'll find lots of info on those.

And thanks for posting this, looks like a very interesting Pleco system. I particularly like the HDMI output - HDMI ports can in most cases be converted to DVI with a simple cable, so while I'm not sure whether / how well this would work in practice, it seems like in theory this would be a way that you could use Pleco on a larger monitor. Might be particularly useful for classroom presentations and the like.