Floating Pleco icon?

pancom

Hi. I was trying to turn on Pleco Screen Reader and while tapping some tile in the quick settings shade and enabling some permissions I got this floating Pleco icon that I don't understand what it is for.

I can move it around, it sticks to the sides, can be semi-hidden and gets transparent after a while. I can tap it to make it bolder again, but it does nothing... And I don't even know how to deactivate it.

I thought it might be a cross hair mode (kind of like that other app), but it doesn't detect any text as far as I can see.

I tried looking up the manual and the forums but didn't find anything. Could someone shade some light on its usage? And also how to get rid of it when not needed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230909-191919_Pleco.png
    Screenshot_20230909-191919_Pleco.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 112

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That doesn't do anything, it's the 'accessibility shortcut' button which you can turn off in Pleco's page in Settings / Accessibility. (on some devices it seems to turn on by default whenever you turn on our accessibility service - unfortunately, there's no reliable way for us to tell Android not to show it)

pancom

Ok, thanks for the quick reply, I found the toggle to make it go away.

In the description provided in the accessibility page (see screenshot) it sounds like tapping on the shortcut will enable Screen Reader and make any character directly searchable (but it doesn't, of course, you still need to activate Screen Reader using the other floating buttons, which you still need to activate from Pleco or from the QS tiles).

Maybe you could consider rewriting that description? Or maybe even removing the floating icon option (accessibility button) since it makes things confusing and can't be easily toggled off from a notification or something to that effect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230909-195022_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20230909-195022_Settings.png
    525.1 KB · Views: 125

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We can't do either, unfortunately - we would very much like to, it's just not possible; we can't change the label on it and we can't hide it.