Flashcards: adding duplicate cards when a custom-defined card exists

etm001

状元
Hi,

I have both "Duplicate (in cat)" and "Duplicate (not cat)" set to "Create new card". I noticed that, when I selected to add a new flashcard from the dictionary definition screen, the definition for my existing custom flashcard was updated to the definition of the card I just added. This happened twice when adding new cards, but interesting it didn't happen a third time (i.e., the definition for the existing card was not changed).

I'm obviously missing something here. I'd like to add duplicate cards and retain the custom definition for any existing cards.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... how did you determine that the definition for the existing card had been updated? Any chance that it's still around but that the new card is now the one coming up in Card Info?

etm001

状元
Hmm... how did you determine that the definition for the existing card had been updated?

I created a duplicate flashcard for a word that had only one existing flashcard - the custom defined flashcard. After creating the new card, I searched for the word in flashcards, which returned two flashcard results (as expected). The custom defined card's definition had been changed, and I used the "revert" option to revert the definition.

Unfortunately this happened a few days ago, so I'm recalling from memory. I'll try duplicating the issue again to see if I'm recalling it correctly.

etm001

状元
So I duplicated my issue, but I believe Pleco is working as designed. I found a custom-defined flashcard that only existed once in my database. I then searched for that term (曾參) which returned two results; one result was tagged with the category label assigned to the custom card, the other result was not. Selecting a dictionary entiry for the non-tagged result created a duplicate card, and the custom-defined card remained unaltered. Selecting to add a new card from the tagged result created a duplicate card, but the custom-defined card was also updated (the icon was the + sign with a dotted box around it, meaning a flashcard card exists but not in the current default category if I recall correctly).

Is it possible to choose a dictionary entry in a tagged result, create the duplicate card, and not have it change the custom-defined card?