Flashcard backup

huangqi01

I was wondering how I can backup my flashcards to my computer. I can export them and even backup the database, but it is saving the (backup) file somewhere on my iphone. I cannot figure out how to get this file to my computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
:D
-Jason

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you're running iOS 4.0 or later, just connect your iPhone to your computer, open up iTunes, click on your phone on the left side of the screen, click on the "Apps" tab at the top of the screen, click on "Pleco" in the box near the bottom of the screen, and you'll see a list of Pleco's saved files; you can copy your backup file to your computer from there.

Otherwise, see http://www.pleco.com/ipmanual/flash.html#backup for instructions on how to get them off of your iPhone via an internet connection.

johnh113

榜眼
Dear Mike,

Yesterday I upgraded my iPhone from 3.something to 4.0.1.

I synced my iPhone to my computer. Did the upgrade (which first wiped my iPhone clean). Then, re-synced my iPhone to my computer.

To my surprise, when I launched Pleco, all of my flashcards had been restored. This implies that the act of syncing actually backed up my flashcards. If I just periodically sync my iPhone to my computer will my flashcard database be safe? I was under the impression that I needed to do a backup and then transfer the backup file to my computer. But that certainly wasn't the case when I did my upgrade to 4.0.1.

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, ordinarily they'd be backed up any time you sync your iPhone; however, it's difficult to extract them from those backups by themselves, or to back them up somewhere else in case your computer is lost at the same time as your iPhone (surprisingly common thing - people's hotel rooms get robbed and so forth), so the separate backup procedure gives you a single flashcard database file which you can then back up in as many ways / places as you like.

yesacas

I want to confirm a backup of flashcards. Been doing the following for a long time believing this is correct. Probably should have confirmed earlier. Please confirm with this method I can at a later date restore my flashcards.

1. Select "backup database" in pleco, selecting name, location, then "save"
2. Plug in computer and in apps/pleco on phone select "save to" and save the file to computer/wherever.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yesacas said:
I want to confirm a backup of flashcards. Been doing the following for a long time believing this is correct. Probably should have confirmed earlier. Please confirm with this method I can at a later date restore my flashcards.

1. Select "backup database" in pleco, selecting name, location, then "save"
2. Plug in computer and in apps/pleco on phone select "save to" and save the file to computer/wherever.

Yes, that's correct - to restore the flashcards later you'd simply reverse the process, copy the file back to Pleco via iTunes, choose "Restore Database" and select that file.