Failed; see pleco.com/androidfiles error loop

andi

Hi there, my Problem as followed:

I am unable to install the basic data files. I just installed Pleco through Google Play on my Android phone, no problem (Archos 55 Helium Plus, Android 5.1).

1. However, when I tried to run it, first Pleco is unpacking 51 files, after that I was given a message:
"Failed; re-downloading" and short after "...we need to downloadsome additional data files (78.1 MB) from our web server. Would you like to do this now?"

2. If I click "Yes", the phone downloads it and after Installing 57 files I get the message "Failed; pleco.com/androidfiles on a window with a "Retry" and "Exit" button. After clicking on Retry it will download the same again and I will have the same error.

3. So, instead, I downloaded the basic data files from the Pleco website, and copied it onto my phone via USB connection, and then ran Pleco. I get a "Manual install" window that says: "Pleco found a package containing its required data files... Would you like to install the files from that package now?"

4. I press "Yes" and it will install 54 files, after this I receive an error message: ...we need to downloadsome additional data files (78.1 MB) from our web server. Would you like to do this now?" then follows step 2 again.

5. Re-install did not work and older versions have the same Issue, I used Pleco Version 3.2.37 with plecobundle-151112 and plecodroid-140609-2419p with plecobundle-121227

Thanks in Advance

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
My best guess is that this is some sort of issue accessing your device storage, e.g. that Pleco can't actually open its data files once it's written to them or that it's being told they've been written successfully but they actually aren't. Have actually had a few other reports of this happening on that particular device.

Try downloading our old app (version 2.4) by typing pleco.com/getoldandroid in your device's web browser - does that work any better?

andi

No, unfortunately it doesn't work either, asking for downloading files (33,9MB), installing 30 files, "failed; see pleco..."
Also tried the Beta already but it also doesn't work, no matter if I "update" Pleco or delete all files and uninstall before.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Any settings related to file permissions that you can change in Settings? Do you have an SD card in your device? How old is it, and how much free space does it have?

andi

It's about half a year old, has 16GB and about 1 GB is in use. Also tried it already with removed microSD-Card with the same errors..
No permission settings found so far

andi

Is there any possibility to extract the additional files on my own to the folders on my phone? I can open it with winrar but just don't know where to place the files on my phone...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can put them in /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/bmodules/12/, but it probably won't help because the issue is almost certainly one of storage permissions - your phone isn't letting Pleco access files in its storage.

andi

Seems to work fine so far, at least I can open the App now.
But where can I manually put the add-ons? Also having this "failed"-issue wanting installing them from zip/downloading them.

Last edited:

andi

Thanks a lot! Works fine now!
Unfortunately I can't update the Ad-Ons, are the ones to download all up-to-date? Because it's suggesting me to update.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Some of them are a bit outdated, but the differences are minor - we don't update the files on that system quite as often as the ones in our in-app catalog since frankly hardly anyone uses it these days.

Aurelio

Hi there, I'm about to cry... please, old user here, just migrated mi OnePlus One ROM to MIUI 8, I installed Pleco through your website, suffering the same issue. Gave it access to everything, 'access files' included, unsuccessfully :(

I can download my paid ad-ons later, but at least need basic usage. Thanks in advance!!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Try the really old version - pleco.com/getoldandroid ; that might open up in an emulation mode that will behave better.

Aurelio

[Phew! It worked... thank you, sir! 多谢!]

:(:(After updating same problem appears... Is there any way to have the new version? I'll double check permissions.

No luck... Help? (BTW, could all this be related to the 十九大?)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wouldn't be Great-Firewall-related, no - this is some sort of issue for Pleco accessing your device's file storage area.

Does the updated Pleco have permission to read/write files to storage? (check Settings / Applications)

Honestly my best suggestion would be that you install pretty much any other firmware besides MIUI - it's just not a good version of Android compatibility-wise, we spend about as much time dealing with MIUI-specific issues as we do with those from all other Android forks *combined.*

Aurelio

Got your feedback! So good I'm about to change phone, now I'll just stick to the closest to vanilla Android. Thanks!