exporting cards

qmmayer

I have not been able to find a thread on this topic. I've previously had no problem exporting flashcards by emailing them to myself as text files from my itouch and then dropping them into Excel spreadsheets. Most recently, however, the files that get emailed are .pqb files, and I can't find anything on my laptop (running Windows 7) that will open them correctly. Google searches on exactly what a pqb file is hasn't been all that illuminating. I think I have all the Pleco settings properly configured: the file format is "text" and text encoding is UTF-8. But even in the email being sent from the itouch, the extension is already pqb. This is especially frustrating because I recall it being very simple before.

Any thoughts on this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
qmmayer said:
I have not been able to find a thread on this topic. I've previously had no problem exporting flashcards by emailing them to myself as text files from my itouch and then dropping them into Excel spreadsheets. Most recently, however, the files that get emailed are .pqb files, and I can't find anything on my laptop (running Windows 7) that will open them correctly. Google searches on exactly what a pqb file is hasn't been all that illuminating. I think I have all the Pleco settings properly configured: the file format is "text" and text encoding is UTF-8. But even in the email being sent from the itouch, the extension is already pqb. This is especially frustrating because I recall it being very simple before.

PQB files are files generated by the "Backup Database" command, and only work in Pleco - it sounds like you're accidentally exporting them with that instead of with "Export Cards." Use "Export Cards" and it should give you them in the format you're looking for.

qmmayer

Thanks for the quick response; got it now. It looks like I used Backup rather than Export to create a file within the File Manager so that I could then email it. Pleco is a fantastic product, but I have to say I don't find this portion of things to be all that user friendly. At least coming from a technically challenged perspective.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
qmmayer said:
Thanks for the quick response; got it now. It looks like I used Backup rather than Export to create a file within the File Manager so that I could then email it. Pleco is a fantastic product, but I have to say I don't find this portion of things to be all that user friendly. At least coming from a technically challenged perspective.

Well the problem is that it's really a different operation and yet it's one that we need to make easily accessible - if we hid it on Settings then nobody would know how to find it, but if we combined it with Export Cards we'd have people exporting incomplete databases and being annoyed that everything doesn't restore, or backing up databases and being annoyed that they can only import them by replacing a different database. So I'd say it's the lesser of two evils design-wise.