Export Card categories as Excel files with columns

Sergiolong

Hi. I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I have a category I've worked a lot in. I want to export it to a file and open it on my computer as an Excel file. I have gone through Export Cards -> Text File, and Export Cards -> XML File, but when I open in the computer it's all plain text. Any clues as how do to this? Mayben changing the Text Encoding?

Shun

状元
Hi!

You could try opening the exported text file in a text editor such as Notepad++ (Windows) or BBEdit (Mac), then copying and pasting the file's contents into Excel. The exported text file is a TSV (Tab-Separated Values) file, which means that the three columns are separated using a "tab" character in each line, and when pasting into Excel, Excel will recognize the tabs and insert each field in a separate column.

Leaving the text encoding at UTF-8 is fine.

Hope this helps,

Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You'd want to export as a text file rather than XML - our XML exports really only work with Pleco, the tagging system is specific to our app and a generic text editor or spreadsheet is going to strip all of that out and just give you the plaintext in between.

But I'm not sure why plaintext would not export correctly - are these custom cards you've edited yourself, or are they links to dictionary entries?

LaoHu29

I just tried, no problem. Plain text. Be sure you keep the encoding utf 8 and open the saved file into a utf8 compatible app - I used What’App- before copy and paste into Excel