Explorer fonts don't load after using Pleco

bam

秀才
I'm using an ipaq with pocket pc 2003.
I loaded up Pleco and it works fine. When I go to use MS explorer to surf the web, the pages show little squares instead of letters.
I normally associate these little squares with loading the wrong character encoding. The problem is that I can't figure out how to chage or even view the charater encodings on pocket pc. If I unload pleco and rest my ipaq explorer works fine without the little squares. Has anyone else had this problem? And.. (most importantly) how is this problem resolved?

TIA

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is a known problem, it appears to be a bug in Explorer and thus far has resisted all of our attempts to work around it. However, the (free) 2.0 upgrade should eliminate the problem, since we'll no longer be using Microsoft's system for rendering fonts at all and hence Explorer won't even be aware of or have access to PlecoDict's font files.

In the meantime, about all I can suggest is that you quit PlecoDict before using IE, or switch to another, less heinously buggy browser like Opera.

goulniky

榜眼
I installed Opera and it has lots of interesting smartphone goodies (such as tabs, zoom, orientation etc.) but I find that even though I set it to identify as Handheld device rather than Desktop computer, it still gets full size pages from all websites, this is really annoying.
Also, it supports Unicode, Western, Central European and Japanese encoding out of the box, but no Chinese, and I'm not sure if/how this can be changed.