example sentences in reader

pravit

秀才
I recently upgraded to the new Pleco requiring iOS 7 and I noticed that example sentences are no longer shown in the popup definition in the reader by default. Is there any option to show the example sentences in the popup like in the old version? There seems to be plenty of space, and in the old version you could just swipe within the popup to scroll.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They were actually hidden in the popup in most dictionaries in 2.x as well; we just hadn't tagged the examples in a few of them as example sentences and so in those dictionaries they were still visible. Anyway, you can get to them pretty easily with the > button (which brings up the definition in a full screen) - ultimately fewer taps than it probably takes to scroll through them all - so unless we get a lot of other requests for this I'm reluctant to add an extra option for it.

pravit

秀才
Thanks for considering it. While it may be fewer taps, for me hitting the ">" button breaks up the reading flow; you are taken to an entirely different screen to read the example sentences, then need to go back to the reader screen and find your place again. I generally find it difficult to find where I left off reading in a page of Chinese text. Maybe if hitting ">" then going back kept the original phrase highlighted with the pop-up open, it wouldn't break the flow as much.

Also, from a purely ergonomic standpoint, the ">" button is in the bottom left in the reader screen, but the "go back" button is in the top left of the definition screen. It's a minor point, but on a larger device like an iPad you do need to shift your hands about, and it's much less smooth than just tapping the word to open the pop up, scrolling, then tapping outside the pop up.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you turn on "flip bars top/bottom" in Settings / Popup Definition, that will make the > and back buttons line up at least. (as they already do by default on iPhone) And if you turn on "Don't dismiss on >" on that same screen, that will return the bubble to its previous location when you return from the definition screen.