Duplicate card settings: allow excluded categories

etm001

状元
Hi,

First, a thanks: in 3.2.5, when selecting "Card Info" from the duplicate prompt, the default flashcard category is listed in the Categories list, which makes it really easy to add the card to the category if desired.

I would like to be able to specify "excluded categories" when configuring duplicate card prompt settings. For example, I have all the TOCFL cards installed and I test on them periodically. At this point, when I add a new dictionary-based flashcard, there's a high chance that it will duplicate a TOCFL level 5/6 card. It would be nice if I could configure Pleco to exclude these TOCFL categories when evaluating whether a card is a duplicate.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Actually the thinking was that a lot of people could now make Card Info the duplicate screen instead of the alert (via Settings / Flashcards - new option for that); we also added a "delete" button to the bottom, so now anything you can do from that alert you can do from Card Info instead.

With duplicates, the default behavior is that a card is only considered a duplicate if it's already in the category you're trying to add it to - have you changed that so that any card that's anywhere in your flashcards is a duplicate?

etm001

状元
Actually the thinking was that a lot of people could now make Card Info the duplicate screen instead of the alert

Oh I didn't know this was possible, that's a great feature.

have you changed that so that any card that's anywhere in your flashcards is a duplicate?

Yes at the moment I do have things set so that I'm prompted if the card exists anywhere. I do like to see in what other categories the card exists, except for the TOCFL categories (but it's likely to be there). For now I can just turn of the prompting - 9 out of 10 times I choose to accept the duplicate anyway.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Understood - we're thinking quite a bit about what to do with set word lists like TOCFL, actually, the "tag" system was a partial effort on that front but we'd ideally like to give them a bit more special treatment; for example, allow it to be synced or updated with our server if the vocabulary on a particular test changes.