Chinese to Chinese Dictionary

yamcha

Can anyone tell me if any of the Windows Mobile dictionaries have a Chinese to Chinese Dictionary that can be switched between Simplified and traditional.

Thak you.

ipsi

状元
Pleco 2.0 will have the 现代汉语规范词典, which is entirely Chinese-Chinese and supports showing text in either Simplified or Traditional. I'm not sure if it's got a perfect translation into Traditional (the printed dictionary is simplified-only for the entry text, I think?), but I suspect that's basically what you're looking for :).

yamcha

ipsi said:
I'm not sure if it's got a perfect translation into Traditional (the printed dictionary is simplified-only for the entry text, I think.

I'm sorry but what does that mean?

ipsi

状元
The original dictionary was printed with simplified characters only, ok? So in order for Pleco to display the dictionary with traditional characters, they had to convert from simplified to traditional. Rather than doing it all by hand (A very time-consuming, expensive process!) they'll automate most of it, and tweak the results so they're accurate. I'm not sure if they've had time to do it yet, though.

An example is something like 前边 - the entry for that is simply [名] 前面. However, the software is not guaranteed to know that 前面 is also how it would be written with traditional characters. For example, another way to write 面 is 麵. While we know that it should be 前面, not 前麵, the software may not, and so it may not be correct until Pleco has had a chance to tweak it. In this particular example, it's correct, but there may be others which aren't.

Other examples would be 后/後, or 表/錶.

Does that help any?