Chinese input with hardware keyboard?

daniel123

榜眼
I am thinking about buying the new Samsung Omnia Pro when it will be available. It has a hardware keyboard similar to HTC Touch Pro2. For I do not like Chinese Star I would like to know if there is any good chance to use the hardware keyboard for writing Chinese via pinyin input.

I read PlumSIP support hardware keyboards in some cases. Is this an out of the box feature or do I need anything special for supporting the Samsung Omnia Pro?

ldolse

状元
Plumsip 'just works' on the Xperia, and I know there are several people on the forums using it on other phones. I think the only thing that might not work on all phones is the toggle between english and chinese. On my phone it uses the key for international character variants - umlauts, accents, etc. Not all phones have that particular key, so you may be stuck using the touchscreen to toggle between English and Chinese, which isn't particularly easy. Perhaps another key can be configured, not certain.

Sarevok

进士
Well, PlumSIP doesn't seem to work with Omnia PRO HW keyboard, nor does ZTA4. Haven't tried CE-Star yet (got my Omnia PRO only yesterday) and I don't know if I ever will - I like my system stable :) I never needed to type a significant amount of Chinese text on my PDA before and I doubt this will change now that I have a HW keyboard. Not being in China at the moment, I write an SMS in Chinese only every now and then and a SIP will do just fine for that as well as for those occasions of adding a new entries to Pleco UserDict...

What surprised me the most was that my Omnia PRO (European version) displayed Chinese in menus, filenames and such quite happily right out of the box, so CE-Star is quite unnecessary...

mfcb

状元
recently i found another great-looking SIP for WM6 which seems to be the successor of plumsip. its from the chinese search-engine provider sougou, and they specifically have a version for the touch pro for instance, so i highly suspect it supports HW keyboards...

be prepared to do a lot of chinese reading at http://shouji.sogou.com/ , i'll try it myself after the next rom reflash (most probably this weekend)

Shadowdh

状元
mfcb said:
recently i found another great-looking SIP for WM6 which seems to be the successor of plumsip. its from the chinese search-engine provider sougou, and they specifically have a version for the touch pro for instance, so i highly suspect it supports HW keyboards...

be prepared to do a lot of chinese reading at http://shouji.sogou.com/ , i'll try it myself after the next rom reflash (most probably this weekend)

I have been using Sogou's sip for a few weeks now and its really really good, utilising the Chinese fonts/package from Ricky (cant find the links at the moment for his excellent work) and Sogou there is no need for CE Star... I liked it on my X1 and TyTN II but on the HD2 CE Star is a bit fiddly... Sogou also updates fairly regularly... love it on my laptop, and now on my phone too!!!

mfcb

状元
talking of CE-Star: i was recently forced to install the "free" part of it (didnt care about the SIPs) because i had a font problem with some chinese software, that i could not do without anymore. if you ever need a chinese lunar calendar tool on WM, then google (or sougou, hehe) for "handcalendar". it has many different plugins also, that have nothing to do with "chinese lunar" (like a "safe-period"-calculator based on the date of last menstration, biorythm, a.s.o) but the most useful feature of course is the ability to transfer "lunar dates" like birthdays to outlook (and/or back).

Sarevok

进士
I also use 搜狗输入法 on my laptop, and noticed that there is a version for smartphones available already. It was while browsing the 爱三星 forums few days ago (btw, it is an excellent resource for fellow Omnia Pro users, this phone doesn't get nearly as much support as Omnia II, which is only natural, as Omnia II has much bigger userbase). While working perfectly for some, there were also not so positive reports, some users were even forced to perform a HR, as it reportedly disabled all buttons (including the HW keyboard) after installation. I will probably wait until these bugs are taken care of or until I decide to try out some new ROM. 百度输入法 isn't that bad either, after all...