Cantonese Syllables included in Basic Bundle?

crush

秀才
I purchased the Basic Bundle several years ago (2013, i think) but wasn't studying Cantonese at the time. I was planning on purchasing the audio and a Cantonese dictionary but i saw that the audio is supposedly included in the Basic Bundle? If it's not included that's fine, it's only a few dollars anyway, i just thought i'd ask first.

Also, are there any plans to get more Cantonese dictionaries with simplified entries as well?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We only added Cantonese audio to the bundle recently. Bundle changes are not retroactive, unfortunately; we can't afford to pay royalties / residuals / etc for everyone who's ever bought a bundle when we add a new item to it.

By "simplified entries" do you mean that you want a Cantonese dictionary with definitions in simplified characters? We could easily add simplified character support in definitions to our existing Cantonese-to-Mandarin dictionaries if there's demand for it - only reason we haven't done that already is that we weren't aware of any significant population of Pleco users learning Cantonese in simplified.

crush

秀才
I can totally understand, that's fine. Then i'll purchase the audio today.

And i live on the mainland, so the Cantonese speakers i've come across are generally from Guangzhou and use simplified characters. The CantoDict dictionary seems to have simplified support as well. I'll pick up the other dictionaries and hope they get updated in the future :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We do support simplified characters for search + headwords now - are those not working for you? Only place we don't support them is in definitions.

crush

秀才
You mean using simplified characters to search Cantonese entries? That seems to be working alright. The robot woman's Cantonese voice seemed to always pronounce things as though they were Mandarin, but now that i've got the audio syllables it's not a huge deal anymore. A Mandarin-Cantonese dictionary would be really handy to have as well. Also, just saw a post of yours from last week at chinese-forums mentioning a possible new Cantonese-English dictionary and updates to the CantoDict dictionary, i'm looking forward to those :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The headwords should also display in simplified - are they doing that or are they traditional-only?

The robotic voice is bugged for some Android users at the moment - Google TTS' Cantonese support is very spotty; we're hoping to license a third-party Cantonese TTS engine to build into Pleco soon, but at the moment the best advice we have for users who want reliable Cantonese sentence audio is to get an iPhone :)

Do you know of any good printed Mandarin-Cantonese dictionaries? We'd love to offer one but we haven't managed to find one so far.

Big update to CC-Canto is in the works, yes, and hoping to have a license worked out on that other dictionary soon.

crush

秀才
The headwords do show in simplified with traditional in brackets. As for a dictionary, i honestly don't know, i'll ask around to see if anyone has anything worth looking into. Ever since i bought Pleco i haven't even considered buying a paper dictionary :oops:

Regarding TTS, i've never really used it so it's not a huge deal for me. I've got a rather low-end phone anyway. The Cantonese syllable packs are enough for me.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
TTS should hopefully be fixed soon at any rate. Will see about adding simplified definitions in those dictionaries in a future release, thanks.