Beta 10 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Another note: if you've got the storage space to spare on your test device, please don't delete the beta just yet; we'd like to do a single beta at least of 3.0.1 (or 3.0.2 if 3.0.1 ends up an urgent critical bug fix update) to make sure we've adequately addressed a few of the ergonomic issues you've brought up (like the tap area for iPad buttons). There'll also be betas of future 3.x updates, but those are farther away.

Unfortunately I'm already running low on free space, so I've been looking forward to freeing the ~400 MB my beta is taking up...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Fair enough, but FWIW you could free up a lot of that by deleting add-on databases if you'd still like to be able to weigh in on the UI stuff - the basic app should be under 100.

denmitch

探花
If anyone's still reading: updated versions of *every* database are now available in "Add-ons" in preparation for tomorrow's planned launch. This includes a new female Cantonese audio file which we think sounds better than the old one. (we've dropped the male one altogether for the time being at least)

The level of modifications varied - Tuttle and NWP are probably the ones that made the single biggest formatting leap compared to what you had in earlier betas. The Pocket Oxford is actually an awkward case because if we make anything more than minor changes to it we have to go get Oxford to review / approve it again, so for this release we just tweaked it a bit; same goes for Longman which is essentially unmodified from before.

21C got a good refresh too, and the additions of that, NWP, and Tuttle to our example search feature mean that for a common word you'll end up with a truly colossal number of examples. (you might run into the default 1000-example cap, in fact, imposed mostly for power-saving reasons - you can lift that cap in Settings / Definition Screen)
Mike,
Clarification -
...addon updates in beta only?
...launch timing?
May the day be successful!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, separate files. You won't be see the add-ons in the release version until it's updated.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Took a lot of effort to avoid leaking that the last few months, though I did drop a number of hints...

Great update, mike + dev team!

dcarpent: also seems to work for me (purchased the cantonese dictionary just now, with no problems).

Alexis

状元
On the next pleco beta update, can it be named "Pleco Beta"? Since I kept the beta installed, when I use "send to" for epubs and pdfs in safari, it has two identical icon/titles for Pleco.

I know the release has already happened, but I wanted to finally give the feedback I had made on the beta.
Here you go:
Crash occurred when I was burrows in some definition screen. I think I was switching quickly between the dict, words and sentence tabs.

Other observations:
I often leave pleco to utilize another app in the middle of a flashcards test session. When I return to pleco, I click on "continue test", then it brings me to a confusing sceen with the header "new test" and the only button is to "begin test session" without mention that it is a saved session. It needs to say clearly somewhere that it is a continuation of a previous session or just get rid of the confusing "new"

I don't understand why dictionary definitions AND example sentences are organized by which dictionary they are from, but words containing the character are in a long list of characters . Could this be this list be divided by dictionary.

Or

Under Settings-manage dictionaries, one must toggle "use in compounds" for each dictionary. This is cumbersome, but could be helped if the same toggle were available when managing dictionary groups. Then users cod simply manage this feature using a custom group. This feature is important to my wife and I because when reviewing single character flashcards, we often want to see what compounds the character is used in in only one dictionary, but the rest of the time we would like to have all the dictionaries enabled.

THANK YOU by the way, for organizing the compound words by frequency. What resource was used to develop this frequency list?

JUST had another crash. I was flipping through the long "about pleco" screen. I was nearing the bottom when it crashed. I was doing it while in an airplane, in airplane mode. I have not been able to reproduce the crash.

I noticed when using a transparent handwriting input screen that I must click done to be able to manipulate the search results. Old pleco allowed me to use the toggle On/off switch to do the same thing. I'm not use what the toggle switch is for if you have to press done either way to select which search result you would like to view.

On the character info screen, it would be nice if it remembered that I am on the compound words tab instead of opening to the default "dict" tab every time.

I love the implementation of the show switch dict option in flashcards mode. So glad I can use it without turning of the handwriting input feature first. However, when looking at another dict definition using this feature, I tried using the + sign to add another flashcards and it did not appear to work, at least it didn't ask me what category to add it to, or flash a confirmation message up on the screen.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback.

The "continue test" issue is a bug - got less common in the release version and should go away entirely (we hope) in 3.0.1.

Words containing are merged because they can be - there isn't a good way for us to merge examples or definitions into a single list, but it seems like it would be rather wasteful to show you 你好 8 different times from 8 different dictionaries. To search for compounds in a particular dictionary I'd suggest using a regular wildcard - enter a * in the search box followed by the character you want to search for, then tap-hold on the dictionary switch button and pick the dictionary you want to view them from.

Frequency list was aggregated from a bunch of different free Chinese corpuses / frequency lists with extra weighting given to words that appeared in a lot of dictionaries or in popular standard vocabulary lists like the HSK. Lots of ways we can continue to improve it though, probably even with some hand tweaking at some point.

Are you still seeing this transparent handwriting issue in the release version or only in the beta? (this was an old bug that I'm pretty sure we've fixed by now)

Remembering the last tab when accessing words from CHARS is reasonable - also helpful for stroke order enthusiasts.

The + button in that screen should be changed to something else - it doesn't add another card, it actually just selects this as the new definition for the old card.

denmitch

探花
Mike,
Finding the response area of + for Add a Flashcard select area is so minuscule in the Reader that many times the cursor simply moves onto the next word since I have the Tap side of Screen setting turned on. All the buttons on the button bar work fine but this one. Can it be enlarged?
Also the pop up definition is not always related to the selected word when C-C dictionaries such as CY or GF are first up. This happened several times for different words in Reader and I was able to switch to search and duplicate this response. See attachment. Is this a bug or user error?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 496