Beta 10 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Alexis

状元
Oh okay! I had thought the + option was related to collapsing/hiding entries. Didn't realize it was flashcard related when I enabled it.

Now that you explain the hyperlink thing, the difference makes more sense. I think it might be more confusing to have some tappable, and some not, but looking visually the same.

That's definitely better now (example sentences in a new lime).

I'd like to see how Chinese parts of speech (动、名、形...) would look like in black color+inside the squares (OS X style)... I'm still not too keen on the current light gray color - should stand out a bit more, I think.

Another thing: both updates shifted my GF to the very end of my dictionary list, rather than keeping it between ABC and LMA.

Last edited:
Another thing I wish could see some improvement is the C-E register labels... The way it is right now, it seems like you could easily overlook it (esp. in PLC, where it's of light gray color). In fact I have overlooked it a couple of times before, esp. with longer entries with more text... I think register labels are important for the end user (esp. learners) and should be easily noticeable.

I thought it was handled better in v. 2 where you out it in parentheses -- I think ABC/Wenlin does it best with < > ... That way it's easily distinguishable from the rest of the entry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 516
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 467
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 550
A note about variants: the way Pleco now merges variant entries with the rest, I find it inconvenient to search for variants.

For example, I just wanted to confirm that 凈 was indeed a variant of 淨, yet CC showed identical definitions for both characters in v. 3, while in v. 2 I could find my answer right away (see screenshots). (I believe this issue is similar to the Japanese variants issue you fixed a couple of betas earlier?)

It would be greatly appreciated if you could do something about it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 527
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 526
Could anyone please tell me whether showing the pinyin in the examples is an option? (Judging from the images sent by goldyn chyld, pinyin in the examples catches the eye far more than the Chinese characters.) Thank you.

Another thing I wish could see some improvement is the C-E register labels... The way it is right now, it seems like you could easily overlook it (esp. in PLC, where it's of light gray color). In fact I have overlooked it a couple of times before, esp. with longer entries with more text... I think register labels are important for the end user (esp. learners) and should be easily noticeable.

I changed the label color to black now and I think that's already better than before...

Last edited:

denmitch

探花
Could anyone please tell me whether showing the pinyin in the examples is an option? (Judging from the images sent by goldyn chyld, pinyin in the examples catches the eye far more than the Chinese characters.) Thank you.
I think this depends in the Dictionary. TL, PLC, ABC all give examples in both Pinyin and character. Of course you can always tap on each word rather quickly.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
golden chyld - I think getting those squares to work right would require a couple of additional lines of code - we only ever got enclosed characters working with English and we disabled that before the first beta because we had a better way to do the same thing - but we'll experiment with it a bit for 3.0.1.

On register labels: this one we need more feedback on - to me the gray is dark enough that it doesn't remove it from notice but simply makes it easy to tell that it's distinct from the definition which follows, though I suppose that semibold + small caps might be enough to do that on its own.

On variants: this is actually quite intentional - in the vast majority of cases, when somebody looks up a character they want to know what it means, so when somebody taps on 凈 the most sensible thing to take them to is a definition for 凈 rather than a link to a separate screen with that definition.

If we get a lot of complaints about this we could consider adding an option to show /ed variants in the popup, so you'd be able to get the information you're looking for that way, but we're pretty well committed to the idea of getting rid of definitions that simply constitute links to other definitions - frankly it's the only way to keep merged searches from getting incredibly confusing / annoying.

The change we made for Japanese variants was a temporary fix to get around the fact that we were losing information - ultimately we'd like to handle that differently too, probably by use of some sort of dictionary-specific notation to deal with whatever specific types of variants it identifies (e.g. a Japanese variant in CC would get a little superscripted J next to it, in the "HZ" line that appears at the top of the CC entry).

sobriaebritas - that's an option in all dictionaries now, though the beta-testers are still using old versions of a few of them which don't have the Pinyin tagged correctly to allow us to hide it.

Last edited:
I see. Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I think even just putting brackets around the parts of speech would be great (e.g. [动], [形] etc) to make them more distinguishable from the rest of the text.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If anyone's still reading: updated versions of *every* database are now available in "Add-ons" in preparation for tomorrow's planned launch. This includes a new female Cantonese audio file which we think sounds better than the old one. (we've dropped the male one altogether for the time being at least)

The level of modifications varied - Tuttle and NWP are probably the ones that made the single biggest formatting leap compared to what you had in earlier betas. The Pocket Oxford is actually an awkward case because if we make anything more than minor changes to it we have to go get Oxford to review / approve it again, so for this release we just tweaked it a bit; same goes for Longman which is essentially unmodified from before.

21C got a good refresh too, and the additions of that, NWP, and Tuttle to our example search feature mean that for a common word you'll end up with a truly colossal number of examples. (you might run into the default 1000-example cap, in fact, imposed mostly for power-saving reasons - you can lift that cap in Settings / Definition Screen)

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, downloading.

One thing: is there a chance you could enable "multitasking" while downloading add-ons in Pleco? It seems like the downloading stops as soon as you leave the Downloads section...

It's really not a big deal, but if it were a simple fix it'd be nice to have it. :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
golden chyld - it definitely still works in other tabs, or at least it should - are you sure it's not still downloading? It does stop downloading if you put Pleco in the background, though - background downloading is an iOS7-only feature, and since we'd rather not have to maintain a separate download manager just for iOS 6 we're waiting until we drop support for that before we start using it.

Alexis: thanks - seeing that here too.