Best Device for GSM+WiFi+Pleco?

Luhmann

举人
I'm moving to Taiwan soon and I'm going to want to have my Pleco dictionary handy 24/7. The best thing seems to be to get it on my cell phone, but I'm unsure whether to go with a Treo or a PPC device. As I understand it the PPC devices are buggier, but I'd like something which would allow me to use Skype over WiFi and it seems that there are more PPC options in this regard.

Any advice?

lmcjipo

榜眼
Luhmann said:
I'm moving to Taiwan soon and I'm going to want to have my Pleco dictionary handy 24/7. The best thing seems to be to get it on my cell phone, but I'm unsure whether to go with a Treo or a PPC device. As I understand it the PPC devices are buggier, but I'd like something which would allow me to use Skype over WiFi and it seems that there are more PPC options in this regard.

Any advice?

I have the older style Treo 600 which I'm happy with except for the 160x160 resolution screen. With PlecoDict, the low quality screen isn't a problem due to the mangnifier feature.

The thing with the Treo current line of Treo line products, WiFi is not possible out of the box. If you want WiFi, you have to purchase an expensive add-in 3rd party "sled". Skype is also not supported on the Treo (at least the Treos running the PalmOS).

I'll probably be upgrading to the GSM Treo 650 once the GSM Treo 700p is released.

Shadowdh

状元
I have a ppc and apart from learning how to use it (sigh) I havent noticed any particular "bugginess" about it... its a good solid unit and I absolutely enjoy it and cant believe how useful it is...

Luhmann

举人
I finally decided to get an unlocked Treo 650 on eBay (where you can get one for about $385 if you're patient). Still hasn't come, but it seemed like the most sensible decision to make for now.

WiFi and Skype will have to wait for my next upgrade ...

lmcjipo

榜眼
GSM SIM-unlocked Treos

Luhmann said:
I finally decided to get an unlocked Treo 650 on eBay (where you can get one for about $385 if you're patient). Still hasn't come, but it seemed like the most sensible decision to make for now.

WiFi and Skype will have to wait for my next upgrade ...

You have to be careful with buying an unlocked Treo 650. I was going to buy one (found a terrific deal in the local paper). I met the person and gave the Treo 650 a thorough test. It wasn't fully unlocked. I was unlocked so that I can insert any GSM SIM and make calls but the network GPRS/EDGE was not unlocked. I was not able to access the internet unless I used the SIM of the original company. In the end, I didn't buy it from the person. I decided to wait until Palm releases their next PalmOS version of the Treo (to match the Treo 700w). At that time, I expect the Treo 650 price to drop by at least $100US unlocked so I will purchase it directly from PalmOne.

Also, if you buy a Treo that originally was locked and some user/company hacked away at it to get it unlocked, you will have issues updating the firmware. I had this issue with my Treo 600. I bought my Treo 600 thinking that it was originally unlocked. When I updated the firmware, the phone became SIM-locked and my SIM wouldn't work. I then had to get it unlocked.

Luhmann

举人
Thanks. I was aware of these issues when I bought, and was content for GPS unlocking. It is good to have the warning in this thread.