Anki Is An Excellent Supplementary Learning Software

goulniky

榜眼
I'd really be interested in some user feedback about ANKI - it's not for me, I've only recently started using flashcards and pleco is more than enough --though I'd like to be able to click on other entries, e.g. when it says also see (same sound, different tone).
My interest for ANKI is for a European language, it seems powerful but I find the price tag a little steep.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're planning to add hyperlinks to "see also" entries in version 2, so you can tap on an entry like that in a flashcard to pop up its definition. Regarding Anki, while we probably won't supply any pre-made lists for languages other than Chinese, it should actually be possible to create flashcards and dictionary entries for any language (we'll no longer be limiting flashcards or custom entries to Chinese-to-English), so if you're not sure about buying Anki it might make sense to wait and see how Pleco 2.0 turns out.

goulniky

榜眼
Just for completeness as I don't think it's of much use for learning Chinese (no conflict of interest with Pleco there) :

I came across a neat Palm flashcard programs oriented towards learning vocabulary, which happens to be OpenSource. So it's freeware, and appropriately called Vocabulary Cards for PalmOS. This is still in development, the developper Günther manages a few Mailing Lists and is extremely responsive. It looks to me as a equal if not superior to ANKI, at a fraction of the cost (though I do think it's not geared towards Asian languages)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That does look nice - actually very similar to our own software, both use a modified Leitner Box algorithm. The table system for selecting a different frequency for each tray is a nice touch, like a more polished version of our custom frequency screen.

noof

Anki

Don't overlook the community database for Anki.

Right now on my humble Palm M515 I've got not only Oxford but Anki, King Hanzi (a bit flaky for vocab choice) and within Anki the entire vocabulary list from BLCU's Conversational 301 course.

Also available from Anki's database are six lessons from the Defense Language Institute's Mandarin course, Japanese joyo kanji...etc.

We're using the BLCU book in the adult evening course I am helping to develop at a local college. Having all its vocab with me at all times is fantastic.

I used to lovingly make my own flashcards with a calligraphy pen for kanji & hanzi, but who's got time for that when you're doing the Career Change Hustle (again!)?