3.2.10 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

We're actually thinking about offering weekly CC-CEDICT (and PLC, and CC-Canto) updates as one of the perks of the new cloud service we're working on.

That would be awesome! Really looking forward to it if it actually happens.

Question about the Web reader: how come it's not possible to look for words on the website (e.g. in Safari you type the word into the web address field), or am I missing something?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not something we've added yet, though we can and should - when we originally developed the Web Reader (back in the iPhone 3G days), JavaScript on iOS was too slow to make that search practical, but it's plenty fast enough now. (the URL input UI could use a tuneup in general, actually)

ctop

秀才
I recently got one of those new iPad Pro 9.7 inch. The reason to get that was its ability to display two applications side by side, which is of course great for dictionaries. Now, many dictionaries support clipboard search, which is really handy, but most, like Pleco, do not check the clipboard while active, so they miss out changes in the side-by-side mode. Some applications, however do pick up every change and automatically and that is so cool!

Just select something and it will be looked up immediately without further action. So I hope that you can look into supporting this type of lookup in the next release of Pleco!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Working on it, yes. Though it's dicey because Apple's standard clipboard change notification doesn't work in split-screen, meaning we'd have to do a lot of (battery-draining) polling of the clipboard to figure out when it changes.

ctop

秀才
Working on it, yes. Though it's dicey because Apple's standard clipboard change notification doesn't work in split-screen, meaning we'd have to do a lot of (battery-draining) polling of the clipboard to figure out when it changes.

Ah, I see. So this will be one more option for the user to decide whether the battery drain is worthwhile. The new iPad definitely is a bit week on the battery anyhow. But I guess if it is only during side-by-side use it will be worth the drain, since then the user will be active and wants to have that functionality.

All the best,

Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, we haven't bothered to develop a Web Reader on Android since we think Screen Reader performs that function pretty well already and people are unlikely to pay extra to have a built-in web browser.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
3.2.11 coming shortly, there was a legal reason to do one more 3.2 release (making XinGothic an optional download, so that we can continue offering re-downloads for iOS 7/8 users forever even if we drop our license for XinGothic in a year or two), plus we'd accumulated a goodly number of fixable bugs, are long past due for a CC-CEDICT update, and want to get screenshots in Add-ons since we've made a great deal of extra money on Android recently from that.

Barring any showstopper iOS 10 bugs, though, that will probably be our last 3.2.x release.