3.2.10 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Figured it was about time to start a new one - this thread will probably also cover 3.2.10 which will tie up a few more loose ends from 3.2.9 before we (probably) go iOS-9-exclusive in 3.2.11.

Tone coloring got activated for me after the update. Even though the setting still seems to be on off. Switching it on or on and then off doesn't help. And it's still there in night mode.

Is there a way to somehow workaround the crash when starting a multiple-choice test? I saw the note in the release notes too late and already upgraded. I use the MC tests every single day (as well as other tests).. I can try to delete the app from my phone and restore the app from an old iTunes backup but I'd be afraid of losing data?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Delete and restore would be the best bet. Other alternative would be to install an Android emulator like ARC Welder or BlueStacks on your computer and use our Android app - data format is the same, so you'd just back up your database on your iOS device and restore it in that, and assuming that you bought (or re-bought) Pleco on iOS you can activate your iOS license on Android for free with the steps here.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Seems like it is related to tint headwords - what that's actually doing is tone coloring with every tone the same color, so it might be having some slightly wacky side effects. If you want that tinting behavior for now I'd suggest that you simply do that manually - set every tone color to #0078c3 (standard Pleco blue tint) and you'll get tinted headwords without tone coloring.

Ok, backed up my phone first, then exported my database, deleted the app from my phone, reinstalled it through iTunes, restored all add-ons, and then restored the database. Terrifying (thousands of cards) but it seemed to have worked out okay :) I seem to be back at version 3.2.6. I hope that doesn't cause any problems with the flash card DB.

wibr

进士
Small request, when I use the dictation feature on iOS with the Chinese keyboard it will produce Chinese characters, but if only look up one word it doesn't have enough context to get it right, e.g. when I say zheng4zhong4 because I want 鄭重 it will give me 正中. Is there a way for pleco to detect that characters come from the dictation feature and also look for alternatives with the same pronunciation? Maybe there is already a setting hidden somewhere?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I think that would require us to customize the input field a bit, but we can certainly investigate at any rate.

Sometimes when opening a clipboard entry in Pleco, the menu is incorrect. It shows:
image.png

when it should be:
image.png

This is not related to the new update but is something that I've noticed for a while, I don't remember when it started. Maybe in connection to iOS 9.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, probably means that the popup bubble isn't getting dismissed correctly / completely - which screen did you open this from?

From the search screen I think and sometimes when I use WORD tab to open a word from a character entry. I think it only happens when the search comes from the clipboard (usually Skritter). I don't think it has happened from the clipboard reader.

Now it happened again. This time I opened Pleco with the word 奸淫 copied from Skritter. I opened the entry for 奸淫 and then selected only 淫 and pressed the search icon (magifying glass), then I opened the entries for 淫 that don't have pinyin.
image.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, so you selected the 淫 at the top of the screen, tapped on the magnifying glass to search for just that, the popup reader bar went away (?), and then you tapped on one of the entries in the results and the popup reader bar came back?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
And are you sure the popup bar went away when you went to the search screen and then came back on the definition screen? (sorry, that's just very odd...)

I'm not completely sure, maybe it's still there at search screen. I will report when it happens again and try to remember exactly what happens.