3.1.2/3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

jlnr

进士
I think these were all in the latest version...

• App was stuck in the splash screen when the iPhone thought it was connected to 3G, but couldn't receive any data. Might be an iOS 7(.1) bug, I've experienced the same issue in the TestFlight beta, and only in Pleco.

• The Pinyin for flashcard headwords is not "censored" from the example sentences, unlike the actual characters.

• In the flashcard solution screen for 慈, there is an example compound "家慈" which I tapped - and in the HZ section it then shows the unrelated compound 家祠. This link does not appear when I look up "家慈" in the dictionary.

• I've seen the previous bug before, but forgot to take a screenshot. So I thought, let's try to reset scores for the card and set it to high priority (a feature which I've never used). Even though I've gone through many "New" cards in the last weeks, the 家慈 card only showed up a few days ago. I might be misunderstanding the priority feature, though. Probably not relevant given the upcoming flashcard rewrite :)

Attachments

• IMG_6314.PNG
    IMG_6314.PNG
    164.9 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_6357.PNG
    IMG_6357.PNG
    147.6 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_6358.PNG
    IMG_6358.PNG
    56.2 KB · Views: 508

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for these. With the last one, do you have "limit new cards" turned on? If so then this probably relates to that - high priority cards get introduced before other new cards, but if you don't see any new cards for a few days then that card wouldn't show up until then.

etm001

状元
I've noticed that after extended use of Pleco, 2+ hours/day over 2-4 days, that the UI becomes less responsive. Moving between the following screens is noticeably slower than normal:
  • Sidebar -> Organize Cards
  • Organize Cards -> Flashcard search
  • Flashcard search -> (go back to) Organize cards
  • New Test -> Begin Test Session
Force quitting Pleco resolves the sluggishness. This is on an iPad 3, latest iOS.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Could be an obscure memory leak, I suppose - iPad 3 would be the device to exhibit any performance impact the most, since it's probably the slowest device we currently run on.

mothbox

秀才
Ive found the bookmarks feature to be just what i was looking for in terms of being able to flick quickly through word lists however, i use jyutping which isnt displayed in this view, i have to click edit dictionary entry.

Is there anyway to have jyutping displayed in the main list view and have the full entry displayed when an item in the list is clicked?

In terms of my personal use, but i reckon this would be the same for a lot of people, being able to see all entries, have a little icon to play the audio, and the romanisation of their choice in the bookmark list view would be invaluable.

At the moment I'm using it for topic refreshing before entering class, a quick scroll through vocab. Id probably use this feature more than actual dictionary searching if it displayed the jyutping.

jlnr

进士
With the last one, do you have "limit new cards" turned on? If so then this probably relates to that - high priority cards get introduced before other new cards, but if you don't see any new cards for a few days then that card wouldn't show up until then.

Yep :) That explains it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@mothbox - no way to do Jyutping in lists at the moment, since flashcards don't support Cantonese yet. Getting to the definition screen directly from the list is something we should be adding soon via a tap-hold command (as we already offer on Android).

Shun

状元
Hi, the Components breakdown of the character 撤 is incomplete. Is a database update pending? Thanks.

image.jpg

insighter

举人
I've downloaded a 17 page pdf that I wanted to look through with on Pleco, however whenever I try and open the document the program crashes. I've tried opening directly from mail client, download into Pleco first and then loading, etc.

Using iPod Touch 4s or something, iOS 6.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... could you email us that PDF? Might be a RAM issue if it's an iPod Touch 4th-gen, those are the most memory-challenged devices that we currently support.

scykei

榜眼
Is there a way to turn on an exit button to immediately jump out of the entry and open the keyboard? I can't seem to find it since the big update. Right now, I have to make three taps (one to bring up the side bar, one to tap on the dictionary and another to clear the search bar and open up the keyboard).

EDIT: Whooops. I just noticed that this thread is specifically for dictionary feedback. Meant to post at the general Pleco 3 thread.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Duly moved. And yes, you can add a "jump to search" command to the favorites bar (Settings / Miscellaneous) for two-tap access to the dictionary search bar from anywhere.

mikeo

榜眼
I've noticed that after extended use of Pleco, 2+ hours/day over 2-4 days, that the UI becomes less responsive. Moving between the following screens is noticeably slower than normal:
  • Sidebar -> Organize Cards
  • Organize Cards -> Flashcard search
  • Flashcard search -> (go back to) Organize cards
  • New Test -> Begin Test Session
Force quitting Pleco resolves the sluggishness. This is on an iPad 3, latest iOS.
I'm suffering the same slowness, and same symptoms (seems to get worse with length of usage, disappears on restarting pleco) also on ipad 3, latest ios.

The most noticeable symptom is that when tapping in reader on a character for lookup, it can take 5-15 seconds for popup to appear, And pleco is unresponsive during those seconds.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, still trying to get to the bottom of that one - doesn't appear to be a memory leak on our end which means it's probably a memory leak on iOS' end relating to something that we're doing (much harder to find/fix).

scykei

榜眼
I found out that I need to open a PDF document from the OCR module to read them. But it's very inconvenient because I can't jump between pages and access bookmarks. Is it possible to pull out the OCR menu directly from the Documents reader? I only want to use it to check for a few words every now and then.

Also, I tend to want to jump to the definitions after I encounter a word while doing flashcards. Is there a way to bring up the definitions directly with a single touch? If not, can you implement a button that would allow that? Currently, I have to select a single character from the headword, drag it to include the whole headword and press the arrow to jump to the definition.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've been planning to merge the document reader and OCR PDF eventually, just haven't gotten around to it yet. (honestly, I'd rather wait to do it until after we drop support for iOS 6 and therefore for devices with < 512 MB of RAM)

No way to access definitions in a single tap from flashcards, though it's on our to-do list when we revamp the flashcard interface.

Shun

状元
Hi, when I copy cards from one flashcard category to another, then split the destination category using either Sequential or Alternating modes, the category does not split in the way I would expect. (In Sequential mode, the first card can't be found in the "Part 1" split category.) After combining the category again, I do get the original order back, though. Also, re-combining and re-splitting produces the same result as when splitting for the first time. Could the internal SQLite card order be different from the one displayed in "Organize Cards"? Thanks for clearing this up.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd, it seems to work correctly here - could you possibly email me (mikelove@pleco.com) a backup of your flashcard database and let me know which category in particular you're seeing this happen in?

jlnr

进士
The flashcard for 老實 has light grey examples on white background for some reason. It looks fine in the dictionary. I thought it was a one-off bug in iOS 7.x, but it happened twice while looking at the same flash card now.

Attachments

• IMG_6881.PNG
    IMG_6881.PNG
    162 KB · Views: 450